• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Disgusting Treatment Nat West-costs Ccj-urgent Advice Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disgusting Treatment Nat West-costs Ccj-urgent Advice Please

Firstly many thanks to Tom Brennan for pointing me in this direction. I urgently need legal advice on the following matter please. I have a county court summons of £3000 for costs, looming, that has to be paid by Jan 15 2009. I need to know what I can do regarding appealing etc. The court room antics themselves leave a lot to be desired and there may even be breaches in this regard.

I operate a small business with minimal turnover, in Sept 2005 Nat West failed to make a transfer I requested in person at a branch. Therefore unknown to me my account went overdrawn, a cheque bounced resulting in a avoiding a council tax summons only by a whisker. Wrote to branch manager, he said he would issue compensation and refund charges immediately. He failed to issue compensation and DEBITED charges again instead of crediting them (yes you read correctly) meaning I could not withdraw money from cash points as Nat West were unlawfully (?) withholding my funds (£106 to be precise).

Other matters arose and weeks later I requested further transfers, first one was delayed couple of days, second one was not done until 5 days later and only because I visited branch to complain. He claimed he needed to send it to a "service centre" which is absolute rubbish as anyone in the industry will tell you. I do not believe anyone could make such a series of genuine errors, and therefore have kept an open mind as to whether such actions were deliberate as a result of my complaints. I couldn't use cash points or write cheques for fear of funds not being in accounts. This caused absolute chaos for about 5 months in total as I had no meaningful control over my finances and my business suffered a loss as you'd imagine through the constant stress and time spent dealing with these matters, which was colossal.

I approached Nat West head office for £4000 compensation, they offered me an insulting £400 which once the charges they still owed me were taken away barely left the minimum wage on an hourly basis for my time. They were not prepared to offer a higher figure when I tried to negotiate.

I made what may have been a mistake in hindsight not going to the ombudsman following this, but that was because I didnt think I'd get the result I wanted, since suggested on here. I therefore filed a small claim for an admittedly optimistic £5000, but was open to any sensible offer had it been made, of maybe £2000. My business account showed I had a loss of over £4000 for the period in question compared to the previous 3 years. Much of this was genuinely caused by the stress and inconvenience placed on me throughout the chain of events.

I did suggest additionally that if one placed that sum proportionately against any of the unlawful charges that Nat West levelled against my accounts, it was wholly reasonable, as if my time were based on the same principle as Nat West applied, i.e. a few seconds labour to implement a £38 charge which they unlawfully (?) withdrew, against the number of hours I had to spend dealing with those matters, in other words in the interests of "mutual fairness."

So here was I, minding my own business, when it was totally turned on its head by Nat West. I had every reason to want compensation and was relying on the courts to offer me an efficient service throughout, and a fair trial. The opposite was what I endured as follows, I respresented myself. Bear in mind some of the below will not make complete sense unless you see the complete paperwork, its snippets as such.

1. I filed the claim as a "small claim" as it was not over £5000. A few months down the line the courts moved the case from Reigate to Guildford and stayed the case claiming that it was awaiting the "OFT report on bank charges." This was never such a claim. I had to write to the court three times during the case concerning this, and at mid point it was transferred to the "fast track" without me noticing that minor detail on the paper work.

2. Some months later the defence filed documents over three weeks later than a stipulated date which prevented me from filing my reply to these in return by the correct date. The judge at the final hearing viewed me as reckless for this and saw no reason to apportion blame to the defence even though I had filed a complaint in writing to the court at the time they failed to respond. A copy was in the trial bundle.

3. On the day in court I felt the the judge treated me appallingly from the moment we started. His first words to me felt as if they were directed towards a criminal. These were "why have I only been handed this just now" holding my trial bundle aloft. I informed him I had delivered it in person by the specified date. I was shocked.

4. The hearing continued in a totally unexpected way. The judge showed no interest whatsoever in the chain of events and appeared to randomly select a mid-point to start from. He made so many errors that I was forced to ask him politely if he had read through the case to which he replied "no not all of it." I believe he had read none of it in advance bar a few pages and the names of the two parties.

5. I was permitted to ask a number of questions to the defence, however, on any occasion I asked questions that had "real substance," these were met with either an "I couldn't comment" from the defence, or the judge suggested they had no relevance.

6. I asked the judge to rule as to whether the numerous items that I alleged were "breach of contract" and "unlawful withdrawls" were so, of which there were about 30 in total if I remember correctly. He refused to comment on them yet these were all valid points as far as I was concerned.

7. On at least three occasions, the judge sternly addressed me claiming that "he had a more important case to deal with concerning a child with a fractured skull, and that I was lucky he could be here today." Hardly inspiring words to an unrepresented claimant.

8. Re the failure of me being unable to withdraw a full £400 I needed for an early morning deal, which I was entitled to under the terms and conditions of the contract from a cash point, his reply to the fact I could only obtain £385 (due to Nat West wrongly witholding £106 of my money) , was "you were only £15 short I'm sure it wouldn't have mattered." I was speechless, if I didn't have the full £400 I could not buy the goods !

9. Re Council Tax summons I was threatened with when cheque bounced, "but you didn't get a summons did you." No but only because I spent hours on the phone, writing, and visiting the town hall, time removed from my business. Like it didn't matter ?

10. He thought it was acceptable for Nat West to make an unrequested refund to Tiscali resulting in my broadband being cut.

11. One of the most insulting matters I was subjected to shows a complete lack of respect for the hard working small businessman, "Why did you do all these things like writing to the bank, the council, the water company etc in the daytime, you could have done it at night ?" I informed the judge that I worked almost every hour possible already and was entitled to some free time in the evening after doing so. Additionally the problems related to a "business account" therefore it was only fair to address them in business hours and to be compensated for such. His reply "other people who run their own businesses work late at night so you could have done."
    Could I ? How could this be substantiated without knowing full details of my life and personal situation ? Could I have phoned the council tax office at midnight ? Would Nat West stay open until 7pm when it was convenient for me to call in to discuss the matter ?
    No, yet it was totally acceptable for me to be expected to address these matters at say 1 or 2 am.

12. The judge permitted Nat West to remove services from me that it was contracted to provide in the T&C's.

13. The judge unnecessarily addressed several matters that had already been thrown out months earlier. As he brought each one up I informed him they were no longer issues either party needed to address, yet he spent what seemed an eternity dissecting them nonsensically.

14. One of these was a charge that Nat West had conceded as being an error in an earlier hearing and for which they'd agreed to refund me, and may have already repaid me, for a sum of approx £2. He reversed the decision !!! It was mind blowing.

15. In summing up he made numerous statements that were totally incorrect, yet I was powerless to interrupt and challenge him. He had already condemned everything I had said previously, therefore there was no point. IMO he had made his decision in this case before entering the room that morning.

16. Regarding costs, he required no proof that any of the names on the defence schedules even existed, and that their rates of pay was as stated. Only a few of them appeared on the documents during the case. Their photocopying bill was over 4 times more than mine. The defence referred to a case whereby costs had been awarded in the small claims court against a claimant who was deemed to have filed a case recklessly. The judge based my case as being reckless largely on the basis that I did not have absolute evidence to support the actual loss. My business accounts over a 3 year period showed an amazing difference re the period of this case, therefore if there was any doubt to the validity of such then surely I should have been charged with an offence relating to trying to deceive the court. Additionally how could I trace lost customers, how could I replace so many hours of lost labour, and then those days that followed whereby the stress made it impossible to concentrate on my work ?

It being absolutely impossible to pay such a sum, and why should I under the circumstances anyhow, I was asked my opinion of £4000 in costs. I gave my honest opinion at the time which reflected my state of mind, knowing it to be an impossible to pay sum I simply replied "I might as well kill myself." Probably not a wise thing to say, but I wouldn't be the the first. The judge replied "I don't do blackmail, £3000 is the best I can do for you."

I am a responsible person who does not smoke or drink, I've never had credit cards, I live within my means, which of course is impossible should I be asked to pay this £3000. In effect its closer to £4000 due to not taking the original £400 offer, and then all the court fees added on that I paid. My mortgage is in arrears two months as it has been ever since 2005 when the problems started, there were no problems prior to this, thankfully my building society are considerate.

I urgently need advice please, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Helpneeded; 8th January 2009, 04:09:AM. Reason: Matters of privacy, and streamlining some issues.

Re: Disgusting Treatment Nat West-costs Ccj-urgent Advice Please

Hello Helpneeded and welcome to Beagles.
    I am not the one who can help with your problem, but I am sure someone will be along soon that can.
    Enaid x

Comment

This is a complicated post so I will try and go through it bit by bit by bit.

The offer of £400 is because that is what NatWest assumed the FOS would offer that so they were hedging their bets.
      I will ask a lot of questions so apologies.
      What type of transfers were they? Were they between accounts in your name, ie personal to business or business to personal?

Comment

OK the key thing here and the most important to deal with is the issue of costs.

Do you have a copy of the judgment from the Court, the one which includes details of the final outcome of the hearing and that details the award of costs against you?

Please can you post up a copy of the judgment ( Remember to edit out your personal details and the claim number ).

Thanks Budgie

Comment

Hi and thanks for the replies already received. I shall post up a copy of the judgement in the morning, with personal details and case number edited out.

The transfers were from a business to a personal account and at all times there were cleared funds to cover the amounts requested. The transfers were all in writing. BTW I have since discovered this week that Nat West have had transfer books for years, yet I have never been offered one.

To hear that the FOS would award only around £400, is peace of mind to some degree, as at least I can justify to myself that using the court was the right (if unsuccessful) option. I guess thats why Nat West deluged me with FOS leaflets everytime they wrote to me, as it was the easy way out for them.

Will load the judgement in the morning. Thanks.

Comment

Transfer books btw are very very very old school shall we say. In point of fact, they were more confusing that necessary. WIth regards to the transfers, it seems very odd that transfers were not done at the point they were received. From post 1, it would appear that the business manager simply sent their post straight to the customer service centre rather than deal with it themselves(albeit normally their assistant would on the admin side of things). Will ask more questions later.
            The FOS Leaflets are mandatory so that may be why they sent you details about the FOS.

Comment

Sorry for couple days delay posting up reply, connection problems all day yesterday (avoid Tiscali at all costs), and most of Saturday was spent helping elderly neighbour who lost tile in storm resulting in serious leak in bathroom, thats how heavy it rained here.

The wording on the judgement is as follows, theres only a few sentences on it (hence didnt scan it as would take longer) as follows :

Before HH Judge Nathan sitting at Guildford County Court, upon hearing the claimant in person and counsel for the defendant it is ordered that
              1. The claim is dismissed
              2. Claimant do pay the defendants costs summary assessed at £3000 by 4pm 15th Jan 2009.
              Dated 16 Jan 2008

Comment

My phone line and broadband is now fully operational again. The BT engineer just discovered that one of the cables was so corroded in the box at the top of pole outside that it snapped soon as he touched it. I can reply to all comms within hours now. Thanks.

Comment

Do you have a breakdown of their costs?

Comment

Hi Pkea,

Yes I have a complete breakdown of their costs which is 3 pages long. This document was sent to me as dated 10th January and therefore arrived only one or two days before the hearing at the most, therefore I had no opportunity whatsover to take legal advice concerning these. I genuinely initially thought the figures were a joke when I opened the letter as they bore no relation to what I could have possibly expected.

The defence had suggested a month or so earlier that if I dropped the case before court, there would be no costs. If one applied that principal, they are in the same position now anyhow, as if they were prepared to dismiss what they allege would have been around £3000 up to that point, then they could comfortably afford to ignore the £3000 order I am now dealing with. In view iof this I believe the costs listed are grossly exaggerated, and why if they were genuinely so high, were they not presented to me earlier when it was obviously going to be impossible for me to pay such a sum ?

Additionally there is no evidence to me to suggest that any of the names bar at a glance three, on that actual summary, contributed in any way to this case, or exist. Perhaps a member on this site would be able to verify that such people are registered in their stated capacities ? It seems inconceivable to me that everyone in the defendants office is on a minimum of £80 an hour, does that include their secretaries who typed the letters ?

The costs on the sheet are the pre-trial figures, to which two peoples attendance at court was added, then the figure was rounded back down to £3000 by the judge.

What shall I do with the documents, upload it on the thread itself ? I guess it may be in my interest to still keep the claim number and my id private although I guess anyone on here who wanted to find out may have enough clues already, especially if they are Nat West connected.

Look fwd to your reply, thanks.

Comment

If you can upload them and remove ALL personal info, I may have someone who can have a look over them.
                      If you are having trouble uploading them you can send them to pkea@legalbeagles.info and i can post them up for you

PKea

Comment

Hi Pkea, first time Id used my scanner and wasnt confident, hence just emailed you directly with the costs documents as attachments. I trust your judgement concerning loading on the site. Thanks.

Comment

Hi

have you sent a copy of your original claim and Natwests defence to Pkea too - if not it would be very useful to have these.

Thank you

Ame
                          xx
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Ame,
                            The amount of paperwork in the case was overwhelming so it's difficult to know where to begin as to how much to supply. I'll be guided by whatever Pkea suggests and keep everyone posted on the thread.
                            Thanks

Comment

If you can post up the claim and info as Ame has requested that will help us better understand your case.
                              I have asked someone to have a look over your costs, to see if there is anything obvious that stands out on them.
                              I know from my 2 court appearances on costs, the banks barister fee for the day was approx £200. I will dig out the breakdown of that or I will find the info on site

PKea

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X