• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Am I over reacting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I over reacting

Hi
    I hope this is in the right place

I have my home contents insurance through a company called Home Protect . The insurance was due for renewal on 25th sept which I agreed to and was told that the payment would come out of my bank, as usual on 25th of the month. I pay by instalments .

Anyway , by 28th no money had come out of my bank so I called the insurers to as why (things are a bit tight at the moment and I need to know exactly when money is coming out. I was told that nothing was registering for the DD but I could make a payment over the phone. I did this as well as giving new bank details ( I am changing banks to Yorkshire) and while on the phone cancelled my existing DD with my bank online.

Yesterday I received emails with thanks for payment as well as a "Your right to cancel'

Today i received an email with a link to a letter that was a default notice and a saying they couldn't collect my monthly payment and that i needed to contact them and make the payment along with the default charge of £20. I tried calling on an 0844 number but after going through the dreaded voice activation service I was told there was no due payment.

I searched through my emails and found that one dated 25th had gone into my spam box which said that the payment would come out of my bank tomorrow 2nd Oct , it seems I had panicked unnecessarily.

When I tried to look at my agreement to see what the clauses were I had supposedly breached it said my account was in default but how can it be as a) the payment wasn't due until tomorrow and b) they had the payment already

I have written a letter that i will post tomorrow complaining, I have explained what happened as above and asked them to clarify that
    There is no default fee due, there is no default, nothing will be reported
    Confirm that they have my new bank details (the online form still shows my old ones)
    Explain how it can show as a default when it is all paid up to date and I have provided my new bank details

Another thing that I want to know is this
    Voice activated systems, do they fall foul of the equality act as people with certain disabilities can not use them particularly when letters are needed ( I know some will let you use your keypad to input numbers). I know often after a certain number of attempts it puts you through to a person but that can be very frustrating and quite upsetting if you are sensitive about the way you speak.

I am sorry to go on for so long

Thank you in advance

Sorry I should have said, the premiums are paid through premium Credit
    Tags: None

Re: Am I over reacting

Check whether the original Direct Debit had any reference numbers which might relate to the policy. It might be that they made a mistake at their end in not setting up DD for September and that the default letter might be from the previous one or even that they are claiming from the previous bank account which might have been closed or the DD cancelled.

Somewhere along the line there has been an error on someone's part but the payment was taken by card today so it should be fine.

Post up when you have a reply....
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Re: Am I over reacting

Thanks leclerc
      The payment by card was actually made on Monday evening but showed on my bank statement today. When I tried calling and put in my account number it said that there was no payment due .
      It might be a system thing but it is so unnecessary

I know most people wouldn't worry about it but stupid things like this really get to me. It's not as if another default would make any difference right now but I will have a clear credit file in 3 years

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X