• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The legal ombudsman service, is it fit for purpose or a waste of time ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The legal ombudsman service, is it fit for purpose or a waste of time ?

As of the 28 th January 2015, the Legal Ombudsman Service began to take complaints against Claims Management Companies, and it seemed at long last, after the inaction of the Claims Management Section of the M.O.J., that consumers could seek redress from the Claims Management companies for ‘POOR SERVICE’, and other ‘misdemeanours’.

Unfortunately, that has not turned out to be the case for us. Having referred THREE companies to them, and having gone through the all the stages of placing the claims, several key points have emerged.

None of the adjudicators or the Ombudsman himself (Andrew Burford) have had any legal training. They make their decisions as to levels of ‘poor service’ (or other possible areas where the Claims Management Companies fail in their contract with the consumer), based upon their opinion of the documents presented to them. Two adjudicators we have been in contact with admitted they were either a ‘lay person’ or giving ‘my lay view’.

When asked for any breakdown of charges they could ‘apply’ to these companies, both stated ‘it is what we consider appropriate in the circumstances’.

NEGLIGENCE is not part of their remit, this matter is solely in the palms of the court system.

We have been through all the steps in the process, and without going into too much detail at this point, before rejecting the Ombudsman’s decisions on all three companies (noting they found poor service in two of the companies cases, but offered what to us was derisory compensation) we then found out the following. They also agreed with the M.O.J., that the companies had breached Claims Management Regulations, yet was done about that?

Simple answer, a big fat zero.

We submitted a great deal of evidence, showing that all three Claims Management Companies, had breached their contracts with us, and all three had lied on numerous occasions, yet a great deal of this evidence, including e-mails and letters from those companies was ignored.

The following is a direct quote from the Legal Ombudsman’s website as regards Claims Management Companies.

‘ Q. How much will this cost CMC’s

A. CMC’s will be charged an annual fee to cover the costs of the service that the Legal Ombudsman provides. The level of fees have been consulted upon and the intended framework for the fees can be found within the response to this consultation’

Now both the LEGAL OMBUDSMAN SERVICE and the section of the MINISTRY OF JUSTICE, who regulate the Claims Management Companies, are BOTH FINANCED by the very same companies, so the question arises, how can either of these organizations be trusted, when both financed by the companies they are supposed to regulate ?

The financing of the Legal Ombudsman Service as regards Claims Management, should have been made clear on their website and definitely in conjunction with the forms relating to those complaints against these companies, AND ‘NOT HIDDEN AWAY’.

This is what Walter Merricks, the LeO Service Complaint Adjudicator says about The Legal Ombudsman in the Annual Review 2012,

"The service is largely confined to remedying identified over-charging or financial loss,
    or awarding relatively small sums for the inconvenience caused by poor service"

http://www.legalombudsman-problems.co.uk/

Having rejected the Ombudsman’s decisions in all three cases, we are now progressing to the next level, i.e. Court Action against all three companies. Also, and quite remarkably, the Ombudsman came to his ‘final conclusions’ within a day, which was quite an achievement, bearing in mind, each case involved in excess of 100 pages of written evidence from all parties concerned. The impression that he simply ‘agreed’ with the adjudicators decisions, and simply signed the letters to us, without reading the case files, remains fairly apparent.

Having been through all this, we thought that anybody else thinking of using the Legal Ombudsman Service, needs to be aware of the pitfalls we have encountered in dealing with this service. As it stands, it is more than on a par with the M.O.J., and to put it mildly, there have been many complaints about them and how they deal with the Claims Management Companies.
    Tags: None

Re: The legal ombudsman service, is it fit for purpose or a waste of time ?

Thanks, interesting post. I had high hopes for LeO when they took on complaints about CMCs.

On funding LeO is no different to most statutory complaints resolution services in the it's financed by the industry. It's difficult to see who else should fund it IMO. Also I don't think that the adjudicators should necessarily have to have any legal training as their remit is to resolve 'service' issues. That said most 'service' issues are in fact contractual disputes for which should be black and white.

Just looking at the 2 case studies they published, case 1 does look like the complainant got a raw deal but in case 2 I think they got right.

Can I ask who the CMCs were that you complained about and the issues you had with them?
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for replying EXC and for the information you provided

I will give more details later after I return from work of the companies involved and what the claims involved. It wasn't just about P.P.I.'s.

Comment

The companies concerned are:

Reclaims 4U (UK) Ltd;

The Mortgage Claims Bureau Ltd;

and Fountain Templar Ltd.

The latter who were not licensed by the M.O.J. when we were passed to them, and which point the L.O.S. completely ignored in our case against Fountain Templar.

In addition, the cases were not just about P.P.I.'s, there was also a claim for mis-selling of a Mortgage, which all three companies were involved in, and led us up the garden path.

I can provide more details if you wish..

Comment

Thanks.

On Fountain Templar it's possible that they could have been exempt - see sec 5.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for that.

I've read through section 5 and I'm not sure they would come under that. Likewise, the L.O.S., made no referral to that matter at all.

Fountain Templar became licensed by the M.O.J. in January 2014.

Comment

Some more case studies published today on the LeO site - in a section called '''Helping CMCs''' !

Case study 1 – Costs of cancellation

Case study 2 – Fees for additional PPI refunds

- useful case where partial refund got via CMC and cust went to CAB / did it themselves for the rest - LEO ruled she did not owe the fee for the second refund.

Case study 3 – Poor client care – PPI after bankruptcy

Case study 4 – No poor service – PPI

''The Legal Ombudsman determined that the full fees claimed by the CMC were payable.''
              Case study 5 – No poor service and first tier complaint handling
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Very interesting posts .

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X