• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ and potential failure of a debt mgt plan !!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CCJ and potential failure of a debt mgt plan !!!!

It seems its Bryan Carter Solicitors LLP are the ones on record or they were in March 14 and Fredericksons who bought the debt. We aren't entirely sure who the Claimant is in the case at this stage...

Comment

Okay. You can send a CCA to IDEM however be warned they do not have to comply because they have judgment already, and yes it might kick them into going to enforcement, personally I'd rather get the set aside based on them getting judgment on the sly whilst they were being paid under the DMP then ask for the CCA to sort the defence, but plead no cca in the defence draft with the set aside, also plead the unfair charges ( if they are over £25 - though Orfoster might disagree there ), once you have the set aside and the CCJ taken off the file you can make a decision what to do depending on priorities.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by orfoster View Post
        It seems its Bryan Carter Solicitors LLP are the ones on record or they were in March 14 and Fredericksons who bought the debt. We aren't entirely sure who the Claimant is in the case at this stage...
        IDEM usually deal with loans.

Do we not have the copy of the N1 claim form / Judgment from the court ? (sorry haven't read back to the beginning of the thread)
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          IDEM usually deal with loans.

Do we not have the copy of the N1 claim form / Judgment from the court ? (sorry haven't read back to the beginning of the thread)
          Yes I've seen Bryan Carter letter now dated June 14. No Court documents at all, is it worth contacting the Court to find out who the Claimant is simply?

Comment

Yes, but if its IDEM on the CCJ register that's who the claimant is. Better if you can get copies of the claim.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hi going to call the court tomorrow morning to find out further details. In the meantime here's what ive drafted minus my personal details, is this OK:

IN THE NORTHAMPTON COUNTY COURTCLAIM NUMBER:

BETWEEN:

XXXXXXXX (Claimant)- and
              (Defendant)

_________________________________DRAFT ORDER_________________________________

IT IS ORDERED THAT:

Upon reading the Defendant's application dated 22 November 2014.

It is ordered by [ ] sitting in Northampton County Court that:

1. The judgment dated 17 September 2013 be set aside.

2. The Defendants name shall be substituted and replaced with .

3. The Defendant shall file and serve its Defence 14 days from date of service of this Order.

4. The Claimant do pay the Defendant's costs of this application to the sum of £155.

5. The Claimant has permission to file and serve a reply if so required.

Comment

ooops accidentally posted with my name in it, please ignore the name folks

Comment

1. I make this Witness Statement in support of the application for an order that the judgment in this case (Claim No. Judgment dated 17 September 2013) be set aside.

2. CPR 13.3 states (1) In any other case, the court may set aside or vary a judgment entered under Part 12 if
                  (a) the defendant has a real prospect of successfully defending the claim; or

(b) it appears to the court that there is some other good reason why
                  (i) the judgment should be set aside or varied; or
                  (ii) the defendant should be allowed to defend the claim.

3. I learnt of the existence of this claim on 14 October 2014 when I obtained a Credit Report from a Credit Reference Agency [EXHIBIT A].

4. My address changed in October 2010, I advised the creditor of my change in address by telephone and further I was in a Debt Management Plan with the creditor, my Debt Management Company assured me that my address would be amended by them [EXHIBIT B].

5. The Defendant has continued to pay the Claimant regularly in accordance with the agreed Debt Management Plan, at no time has the Defendant failed to make payment [EXHIBIT C].

6. The Defendant admits that she did not advise the Claimant of a change of name, however, at no time was seeking to deceive the Claimant, as exhibited the Defendant made payments throughout the history of the account.

7. The Defendant believes that there are reasonable prospects of defending this claim which are outlined in Draft in the enclosed Draft Defence.

8. I therefore ask that the Court allow this Judgment to be set aside and that the Defendant have 14 days thereafter to submit a Defence.

Comment

In the Witness Statement could you add that you have, in between finding out about the CCJ, and now, written to the original creditor to try and find any information out about the debt. Set aside apps need to be made promptly so I feel we should explain the delay in some way. Can you add in the date(ish) you informed the creditor by telephone.

Also want to see the defence first really, as might be a better way of wording the DMP issues so that you aren't contradicting the defence.

Order sounds fine
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Does anyone know how to upload an image
                      Last edited by Doglover2000; 29th November 2014, 12:05:PM. Reason: Error

Comment

I was going to post the information I received from the courts but I can't work out how to upload the document so I'll just post what it says:

Claiment: Capital one
                        Name and address of service and payment: Bryan Carter Solicitor LLP
                        Defendant: Me (with my current address)
                        Registration address: is my old address

Particulars of claim: This claim is for 840.91 the amount due under an agreement between the claimant and the defendant for the claimant to lend money to the defendant. The claimant has requested payment of the monies due but the balance claimed remains outstanding. Particulars: my account number and the claimant claims 840.91 the claimant also claims interest pursuant to S69 county court act 1984 from 04/01/13 to date at 8% per annum but limited to a maximum of one year amounting 42.02.

Defendant solicitor: blank

Date, description of case event including applications, warrant fees and costs: 24/11/14 - letter to case dets
                        15/03/14 - change of defendant address
                        17/09/13 - N30 judgement by default 1029.93 at 50.00 mth 1st 17 Oct 13

Financial breakdown:
                        Amount adjudged including interest - 882.93
                        Total costs - 147.00
                        Sub total - 1029.93
                        Paid before jment court/claimant - 0.00
                        Total - 1029.93
                        Instalement - 50.00
                        Date of judgement - 17/09/13
                        Registration date - 17/09/13
                        Amount claimed - 882.93
                        Court fee - 55.00
                        Solicitors costs - 70.00
                        Total - 1007.93
                        Date of issue - 21/08/13
                        Date of service - 26/08/13
                        First payment on - 17 Oct 13
                        Order posted - 18 Sept 13

so that is everything that is on the document I received yesterday from the court as I called them and asked for details of the case. I never received any documents at the time, I still haven't. I've also not paid £50 per month, I continued to pay my agreed amount via my DMP. Is there anything I need to add to the set aside papers bearing in mind the information ive received now. I'd really like to get the set aside sent off soon.
                        Many thanks

Comment

Scanned document attached I hope
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hello,
                            Please see my draft defence. Not sure how to finish it off though.
                            I really want to then claim for the charges and inaccurate default but should I do this, get the CCJ set aside, pay in full and then claim the charges etc back?
                            Thanks

1. The Claimant brought a claim against the Defendant on 21 August 2013 for repayment of monies owed in relation to an alleged fixed fee Credit Agreement.

2. The Defendant entered into a Debt Management Plan in January 2010 and has maintained regular consistent payments in respect of that arrangement. The Defendant has continued to maintain these payments at all times and will provide proof of the same.

3. The Defendant moved address on 21 January 2010 and again on 16 October 2010 and further on 21 October 2011 to XXaddressXX and believed that the Debt Management Company would provide up to date address changes on her behalf, she did however, maintain her payments throughout this time and will provide evidence that no payments have been missed.

4. The Defendant at no time received any information in respect of this claim, in addition at no point did the Claimant contact the Defendants Debt Management Company whom the Claimant was receiving regular payments from.

5. The Defendant wrote to the Claimant on XXX pursuant to s78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 to obtain information on the alleged agreement, this request was served by Royal Mail Recorded Delivery on XXX, the Claimant has failed to respond to that letter and a subsequent follow up letter on XXX sent by the same method and signed for on XXX, to date the Claimant has failed to respond. It is pleaded that the Claimant is in default in accordance with the aforementioned regulation.

6. The Defendant made a request pursuant to s7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 on XXX, received by the Claimant on XXX requesting information in support of this defence.

7. The Defendant pleads that the account has been subject to charges “the charges” which are subject to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

8. Throughout the period of the account, the Defendant has added numerous default charges to the account which were applied on the basis that;
                            a. A penalty payable on breach of contract and thus unenforceable: and/or
                            b. An Unfair Term under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (“The Regulations”) and therefore not binding on the Defendant.

9. The Defendant is accordingly entitled to repayment of the sums wrongly added to the account and therefore disputes the amount of claim.

Comment

UPDATE

Judge has agreed to set aside for the reason "real prospect of success".

Ok, a couple of questions now as its been listed for a 90 minute hearing on 1 May.

1. Do I write to Bryan Carter and have the CCJ removed from my file?
                              2. Following my SAR to Capital One they responded saying I can ask for information relating to court info, I did that a few weeks ago now and they've not replied. Should I write to Bryan Carter asking further to CPR 31 for documents?
                              3. If I should what do I need to ask for?

The Claimant was Capital One so does this mean that they haven't sold the debt and therefore in essence there would be no sale of debt information?

I have evidence that I made every single payment to my Debt Management Company on time, I supplied this to the judge and he's taken the application as my defence.

I just want to know what else I should ask for really.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X