• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Credit union loan - from 2010 - LBA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit union loan - from 2010 - LBA

Hi, Have a credit union loan from 2010 I was working but fell into bad health and could not meet the payments. Very little contact with the Credit union I owed the money too. in 2011 I owed £3580.00 - I stopped paying then back in 2018 have been making small token payments - £5 per month as I live on welfare payments.

Recently the CU have a new Credit Controller who has requested that I make more realistic payments - I told them my financial situation was worse than ever following the pandemic. I get very little money

At this point I was undergoing treatment for meningiomas, and the rest of it - this new Controller demanded I fill in a Income Expenditure form - I explained I could not due to my fragile physical and mental state of mind. They sent me a from I was expected to download print and fill in. Told them I could not do it due to disability illness - they told me to get someone to do it. Sent me 3 letters charged me £12 for each.

I was in no state to do this had no one to help me and basically that was it - then got more threats told them I could not complete a complex form as explained.

So got a LBA from a firm of solicitors. Responded I did not get any statements about the debt for years, I did not even know how much I owed. I disputed the amount they stated as they had took my shares of £1100 pounds in 2012.

It turns out they want £2159.00 .which is the outstanding loan - plus a admin fee (solicitor ?) - 291.00 and 36.00 for the letters they wrote me.

I had no idea about the charges - which I deem excessive so I told them to take me to court .... the original agreement they sent me dated 2010 states - I would pay all charges etc etc but that was 13 years ago !

Is their any legal defence I can persue to help me in anyway.

I am upset that they seem to have discriminated against me as well...

Im upset about the loan as it is a CU but now not so upset after the solicitor getting involved as I had a token payment scheme going with them. Only when this new staff member took over did this all start. Hope she doesnt get ill anytime soon hey !

How much interest would they be able to claim - never got a default notice off them,

I would appreciate any advice please - dont want to do a DRO really that would be last resort. and more stress added to my ailing health ...

Thank you
    Last edited by carphunter; 24th July 2024, 22:41:PM.
    Tags: None

Hi Carphunter

Welcome to LB

Try not to worry.

Have you contacted CAB? I think you will need support on this.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/

Comment

Thank-you - No .. the area i live in is rural .. there is no help or advice locally ... in all manner of things not much round here.

Comment

You could fill in an income and expenditure form, take into account the cost of living, i.e. energy, food etc. Give yourself a 'buffer', so if things increase as energy will this winter you don't commit more then you can afford. This is a non priority debt. A Court will only ask you to pay what you can afford, so if that's £1 a month, so be it.

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...itor---letter/

You could consider requesting documents from them i.e. CCA agreement, proving it's a regulated agreement.

You can dispute the fees with the Creditor.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X