• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Opos statute barred debt - can address be left out of my letter to them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opos statute barred debt - can address be left out of my letter to them?

Hi

Opos have started contacting me regarding an alleged debt, handed over to them by capquest. The email does not state the year of this alleged debt, only the company and the balance, and I have not admitted any liability to this debt. I have not received any physical letters but if they have sent any out they may have gone to an old address. I am 90% sure that this alleged debt would be statute barred.

I have found the template letter to send to them, my question is do I need to include my address? I’d rather not give them my new address if possible.

Also, if I send this letter and the debt is not yet statute barred, could that cause any issues?

TIA
    Tags: None

You can surely cut and paste the relevant text into an email for your reply, without including your address.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      You can surely cut and paste the relevant text into an email for your reply, without including your address.
      Ok thank you, this is what I was hoping to do, I just wasn’t sure if there’d be a requirement to include the address.

Comment

They might refuse to supply you more information unless you pass data protection checks which might require an address where the debt was taken out.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Not telling them your current address is a really bad idea. If the debt turns out not to be statute barred and the debt owner starts small claims court proceedings against you they can issue proceedings by post at the last known address they have for you. If you no longer live there you might then have no idea court proceedings have been issued and so you do not put in a defence. The debt owner then wins by default and gets a CCJ against you. This is called by some a "backdoor CCJ".

Whilst them knowing your address does mean a debt collector might call (an issue that can be addressed in other ways) the risks to you of them not knowing are much greater.
          All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X