• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council rent debt help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council rent debt help please

I got into financial trouble back in 2008/2009 and ran up some rent debt, around £1000 from memory. I was evicted by the courts with no order to money.
    they never tried to recover anything they were aware of my address- my parents.
    Fast forward to 2017. I get housed as priority which I was thankful for, fleeing a violent partner. All was good until 2019 and they started deducting credit from my current rent account to pay the debt. I have argued and tried to fight them because they are taking money off me which breaches my tenancy agreement, it’s supposed to be paid in advance!! So they’ve stopped asking me to pay extra to get back in front. They’ve taken £1000 from my current account now, and I only pay the rent I don’t pay any extra, so of course depending on dates it’s paid the account goes into credit which is taken and I’m now receiving threatening letters of eviction. Especially as some gets paid through universal credit which is often allocated late.

I’ve had one housing officer that was extremely helpful and noted the account to stop sending these letters.
    however that was 2020, I’ve had an arrogant guy telling me I need to pay xxx by Monday or I’m instructing Cory proceedings. I’m not even late paying anything, they’ve taken away my right to have 4 weeks notice because their maladministration produces the letter when they don’t allocate it to my account on time, all out of my control.

so my question is, how dojo fight this, do I turn them to mcol. I want the money returning to my account, they should have done it through proper debt recovery routes. I never received a bill for how they added it to £2000 therefore they took my right of appeal with that and now it’s so old they don’t hold records anymore.

they are being as difficult as possible I’ve asked for a statement on 6th June, in fact earlier than that and been ignored. I’ve gone through their official SAR route now, again obstructing me I got a standard reply - apply through this link and that was it.

sorry it’s so long but I have done nothing wrong and I’m losing sleep

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X