• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell/Hoist old GE Capital CCJ from 15-20 years ago

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell/Hoist old GE Capital CCJ from 15-20 years ago

Hiya folks!

Like many others, I have recently received letters from Lowell and Hoist saying that they've now joined.

I have a CCJ from my younger, irresponsible days, 15-20 years ago that was most recently with Hoist, originally with GE Capital, will this CCJ now re-appear on my credit file?

Or, will the debt now show on my credit file under Lowell as a "new" debt/default?

With the time that has passed and multiple address moves, I don't have any paperwork for the CCJ so I can't work out the exact dates nor can I remember if I paid anything towards it.

I am in a position where all of my recent bad debt has been paid and will all (bar one) drop off my credit file in June and I will finally have a good credit rating and I don't want this to ruin everything I've been working towards over the last 10 years.

I'll be happy to pay it but that won't be for 3-4 months and don't want Lowell to ruin my credit file before I can act.
    Tags: None

Hi Spice Boy

Welcome to LB

a) I have a CCJ from my younger, irresponsible days, 15-20 years ago that was most recently with Hoist, originally with GE Capital, will this CCJ now re-appear on my credit file?

If it's dropped off, it shouldn't reappear. As they have a CCJ, the debt isn't statute barred, but they may find it difficult to pursue through the Courts because of the time that's lapsed.

b) Or, will the debt now show on my credit file under Lowell as a "new" debt/default?

Answered in a.

c) With the time that has passed and multiple address moves, I don't have any paperwork for the CCJ so I can't work out the exact dates nor can I remember if I paid anything towards it.

You can search for the debt on the CCJ register for a small fee - https://www.trustonline.org.uk/

d) I am in a position where all of my recent bad debt has been paid and will all (bar one) drop off my credit file in June and I will finally have a good credit rating and I don't want this to ruin everything I've been working towards over the last 10 years.

The best thing is to see what they do, remember they will write to you before doing anything.

If you didn't get the CCJ documents as you may of moved, then you can get the Judgement set aside (fees apply), if you want to defend the claim.

If you want to settle the debt, negotiate a lower figure to settle the debt.

Comment

Thanks for replying and the welcome!

b) Or, will the debt now show on my credit file under Lowell as a "new" debt/default?

Answered in a.

I may have worded it poorly. Previously, Lowell have added their own account number to a purchased debt and then added it to my credit file as a new account and then subsequently defaulted it, I was just concerned that they may try it with this debt too.

You can search for the debt on the CCJ register for a small fee - https://www.trustonline.org.uk/

Thanks for this, I checked and both the addresses I lived at during the timescale that the CCJ would have been made, there is nothing showing.

The best thing is to see what they do, remember they will write to you before doing anything.

If you didn't get the CCJ documents as you may of moved, then you can get the Judgement set aside (fees apply), if you want to defend the claim.

If you want to settle the debt, negotiate a lower figure to settle the debt.

I did have the documents at the time but they have been lost with moving house so often, again I worded that poorly, my bad,

Comment

Previously, Lowell have added their own account number to a purchased debt and then added it to my credit file as a new account and then subsequently defaulted it, I was just concerned that they may try it with this debt too.

They will try all sorts of stuff, strictly speaking there should only be one default on your credit file for a debt, there would have been one for this debt that's dropped off. If they do as you suggest, then ask them to remove it, if they don't lodge a formal complaint with them and the ICO.

Comment

Surely doing that is illegal as there isn't a credit agreement with them?!

Comment

Originally posted by benken28 View Post
            Surely doing that is illegal as there isn't a credit agreement with them?!
            You would think so but previous experience shows that once they acquire a debt, the old one closes and then they open it up as a new account on the credit file and then default that account. That’s how you can default twice for the same debt (and probably more times too if it gets sold again) even though you only ever have 1 default at a time for said debt.

I’m just worried that they will do it again with this account, now that they own it, add it to my credit file under their own account reference number and then default it.

I can pay it off in full, just not for a couple months.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice Boy View Post

You would think so but previous experience shows that once they acquire a debt, the old one closes and then they open it up as a new account on the credit file and then default that account. That’s how you can default twice for the same debt (and probably more times too if it gets sold again) even though you only ever have 1 default at a time for said debt.

I’m just worried that they will do it again with this account, now that they own it, add it to my credit file under their own account reference number and then default it.

I can pay it off in full, just not for a couple months.
              Exactly that, but no two debts are ever the same and it doesn't always follow that, that will happen.

Comment

I have done a bit of reading into this and if they do that they have to register tge default on the original default date

Comment

Originally posted by benken28 View Post
                  I have done a bit of reading into this and if they do that they have to register tge default on the original default date
                  You can also add notes to your Credit Report that, that is what has happened, so lenders can see what's happened.

Comment

Hi all,

Thank you for your help so far, it's appreciated.

As a follow up to this, the original default will be in around 2003/2004 with the CCJ being around the same time.

So far they haven't done anything else and something I didn't mentioned earlier as it wasn't relevant (still isn't relevant I guess) I have 2 other debts with Lowell that both reach the 6 year mark this month. 1 was on the 7th that has disappeared from my credit file AND the Lowell letters, the other due to drop off today.

With them removing them from the letters, would that be a sign that they are acknowledging that they are statute barred? I haven't made any payments towards them nor mentioned the debts in writing at all in the 6 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice Boy View Post
                      Hi all,

Thank you for your help so far, it's appreciated.

As a follow up to this, the original default will be in around 2003/2004 with the CCJ being around the same time.

So far they haven't done anything else and something I didn't mentioned earlier as it wasn't relevant (still isn't relevant I guess) I have 2 other debts with Lowell that both reach the 6 year mark this month. 1 was on the 7th that has disappeared from my credit file AND the Lowell letters, the other due to drop off today.

With them removing them from the letters, would that be a sign that they are acknowledging that they are statute barred? I haven't made any payments towards them nor mentioned the debts in writing at all in the 6 years.
                      I don't think they are 'acknowledging that' as such, they automatically drop off after 6 years, it's just that they can't be perused through the Courts.

Comment

Have something similar with capquest. Had a statute barred letter sent by CAB over 10 years ago to lender. I have just last week received a demand letter from capquest, the problem is I have moved so can't find the statute barred letter. And just today I have received another letter from resolvecall threatening to pay me a visit for payment. I have contacted the CAB where the original letter was sent but have had no response yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggi6658 View Post
                          Have something similar with capquest. Had a statute barred letter sent by CAB over 10 years ago to lender. I have just last week received a demand letter from capquest, the problem is I have moved so can't find the statute barred letter. And just today I have received another letter from resolvecall threatening to pay me a visit for payment. I have contacted the CAB where the original letter was sent but have had no response yet.
                          Can you please start your own, then we can advise.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X