• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Virgin Money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Money

I think I have written about my disputes with VM. They closed my account without explanation followed by both my credit cards. The account closure is currently with the Ombudsman after the investigator did not uphold my complaint.

Anyway- on the credit card section of both credit karma and clear score I am showing as pre approved for VM credit cards. Now you might think, why the hell would I want to be involved with such a rubbish company but a back up travel credit card would be useful - I have a metro bank one but it failed on my last holiday in Europe and I had to use my debit card.

Does pre approved 100% likely mean I will get a card or will it then show as a rejection and mess up my credit score?
    Tags: None

Other credit card providers are available!

I understand - based on previous experience I have 3 cards for when I travel.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank- I know I can not get a Halifax one or Santander (I have form!) and now Barclaycard and Zopa seem to have dropped me from their list. Oh well

Comment

Some banks provide prepaid cards in other currencies, if that helps. Admittedly, you are buying the currency in advance.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

The t and c will show not guaranteed approval.The pre approved is done on a soft check and generic history when you go to accept it will reject.If they closed your account it would be opening a can of worms accepting you with no explanation as to why account cards closed before

Comment

Personally, I would take up the problem with VM as that is for them to offer you an explanation as to why you have been suspended, but looking at your previous reports, that seems to be the crux of the rejection.

Comment

Originally posted by DE DOGS View Post
              Personally, I would take up the problem with VM as that is for them to offer you an explanation as to why you have been suspended, but looking at your previous reports, that seems to be the crux of the rejection.
              I am not quite sure what you mean. I wasn’t suspended, they closed my current and savings account and then both my credit cards. I know they do not have to give an explanation but it seems vindictive or based on inaccurate information. There are no defaults or late payments on any credit file, nothing on CIFAS and N. Hunter hold no adverse data on me.

As it happens I thought sod it and applied, they have said they will give me a new credit card.

Yes I know my credit score will take a hit as I have applied for credit but everything is looking good. I am the most financially stable now than I ever have been.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                  Good luck!
                  Thanks. They may be setting themselves up for another FOS complaint but if not, I will use the card on my summer hols in the euro zone.

My suspicion is it was all a case of mistaken identity and/or ineptitude. They had a systems failure which meant it took two extra letters and a month to get copies of emails . Such fun

Comment

So , just received an email confirming the acceptance of my credit card application. I used all the same details as they had before - my Sunday name , same address, same mobile number , same employer. The credit limit is relatively modest but far more than I’ll ever need. APR is a bit high at 29.9 but not important. I’ll only use it in either Sweden, Romania or the Eurozone where it is free to use and I can only bring so much Vodka back anyway

Comment

Much to my surprise- the card arrived today and has been activated on the app. I know have 3 cards that can be used in the Eurozone, two in Europe (although Metro bank's definition of Europe would hardly pass a geography quiz) and one world wide. All set, Vodka sellers of the world be warned :-) although summer is outside of the vodka belt so it will be Slivovitz

Comment

Originally posted by Matty B View Post
                        Much to my surprise- the card arrived today and has been activated on the app. I know have 3 cards that can be used in the Eurozone, two in Europe (although Metro bank's definition of Europe would hardly pass a geography quiz) and one world wide. All set, Vodka sellers of the world be warned :-) although summer is outside of the vodka belt so it will be Slivovitz
                        I do not spend what I can't cover, C/C is a major asset but as you are aware, they have a habit of coming back and biting you.

Comment

Originally posted by DE DOGS View Post

I do not spend what I can't cover, C/C is a major asset but as you are aware, they have a habit of coming back and biting you.
                          Sorry but I do not need a lecture from you about the dangers of credit cards or the perceived holier than thou 'I do not spend what I can not cover'.

The whole point of these cards is to minimise costs when I am in Europe and be there should there be a real emergency (that would eventually be covered by insurance because I am not stupid enough to travel without it).

Comment

Sorry, I was just pointing out the pitfalls of DEBT CARDS. There was no need to reply in a rude manner.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X