• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What are the options?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the options?

An Order was made by a County Court:

IT IS ORDERED THAT
    1. No order as to costs with respect to today's consequential hearing.
    2. The Defendant is entitled to 75% of her costs of the action to be assessed on the standard basis if not agreed.
    3. The Claimant is to pay to the Defendant the sum of £16,000 by way of ai1 interim payment on account of those costs.

Dated 28th September 2022

The Claimant's solicitors say he has no money to pay and are delaying matters (payslips and bank statement have been supplied with the amounts redacted - useless!).

What are the defendant's options? There is a car worth 16k to seize.

Would High Court Sheriff's be a better option than County Court Bailiff's?
    Tags: None

Yes High court every time

But the car could be lease

Comment

Parts 70 onwards of the CPR and the accompanying Practice Directions set out the available methods of enforcement.

You will also need to deal with assessment of your costs.

You appear to have lawyers - seek their advice.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you for the input.

"Parts 70 onwards of the CPR and the accompanying Practice Directions set out the available methods of enforcement."

I'll look it up.

"You will also need to deal with assessment of your costs."

How?

"You appear to have lawyers - seek their advice."

Unfortunately the money has run out so unable to retain lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
          Yes High court every time

But the car could be lease
          Thank you - confident the car is owned.

Comment

Assessment of costs is a pain in the proverbial. CPR Practice Direction 47. Thankfully I was always able to negotiate agreement of costs rather than have to go through this rigmarole. Would you believe that it has generated an entire profession known as "costs lawyers"?
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
              Assessment of costs is a pain in the proverbial. CPR Practice Direction 47. Thankfully I was always able to negotiate agreement of costs rather than have to go through this rigmarole. Would you believe that it has generated an entire profession known as "costs lawyers"?
              Can this be done without lawyers? Can it be spead up by failing to agree and accept 75% of costs?

Comment

I have tried to explain that I am not the person to talk about the process.

Of course things can be speeded up by agreeing a figure. As you know, it takes 2 to reach agreement.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X