• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Company moved default date by 2 years. Update.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company moved default date by 2 years. Update.

Hello.

Yorkshire Water have been in touch with my friend.

They said the following.

A default was registered on your credit file on 7 September 2016, the
    balance
    on the default was £698.42 at this time. Your ongoing charges after the
    date of
    the default were unpaid and then on 7 November 2018 the unpaid charges of
    £264.49 was added to the original default balance.
    When your oldest default becomes 6 years of age, we have to re-age the

How can they re age the default surly that is not acceptable?
    Tags: None

Hi,

Technically not something they are allowed to do, but is something they are able to do. Their tactic is essentially to trick you into making contact and therefore 'acknowledging' the debt with it approaching the 6 year mark and thus restarting the 6 year limitation period. To avoid acknowledging the debt, do not make any payments or put anything in writing to them. Instead I would call them and query the date of original default, do not discuss the debt, payments or anything related to this. Request them to correct the default date, if they do not budge, I would file a complaint and then escalation to the ombudsman if not upheld. I would also raise an query with credit reference agencies and explain to them so they can make a note on your credit record.

Comment

Beagle I think you might be confusing the limitation period with the default date for the purposes of recording arrears on a credit file as the two are not the same thing.

My initial thoughts are that they are probably allowed to do that but they need to be careful about how they go about doing it. They are not allowed to record more than one default for the same debt. What I would expect to happen, is that when your default marker is removed, Yorkshire Water will then report a default marker to credit reference agencies with a default start date on 7 November 2018 and the balance of £264.49.

Having said that, you may be able to argue that the default date should have been as early as 3 months but no later than 6 months. There is guidance by the ICO as agreed with lenders as to how arrears should be reported to reference agencies. You can find the link to that document here and I suggest you have a good read around the section on recording defaults as well as any other relevant guidance.

It would be sensible for your friend to raise a dispute now, rather than wait until it actually happens and has an impact on him/her that could put them in a more precarious position. As always, I would expect YW to reject any question that what they are doing is wrong and unlawful in which case the next steps would be the Energy Ombudsman and failing that, going to court if your friend is feeling up for it.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X