• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Have I acknowledged a statute barred default

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I acknowledged a statute barred default

I received a letter from Lowell for an old credit card debt sayong they have purchased it. I have immediately gone to the Lowell website and setup a payment plan.

The old credit card debt has been closed on my credit file now. So is this now statute barred or have I messed up by setting up a payment plan?

Thanks
    Tags: None

When did the claim become statute barred? Was this before or after your recent response?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I'm not sure really. Lowell said they have purchased the debt from the credit card company. The account with the credit card company says it has now closed on my credit file but it show the default date as 2019.

Comment

Whether or not the debt is time barred depends on whether you've received a default notice from the original creditor or any subsequent purchaser and what date that was - in most cases, time on the clock starts to run 14 days after the date of that default notice and only then can you calculate 6 years from that date. If you don't have that information then you need to make a subject access request to the original creditor and Lowell for all information they hold about you to confirm if a default notice was issued.

If the debt is barred, you can rely on section 29(7) of the Limitation Act 1980 which says that once a claim is time barred, it cannot be revived by an acknowledgement or part payment. In other words, the limitation period can only be extended where time has not expired.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I had a default letter from the credit card company years ago but no longer have this. Is it worth me sending a letter stating that the debt is barred? Or should I call lowell and ask them is it's barred over the phone first?
          Last edited by mrneedshelp; 3rd May 2022, 10:29:AM.

Comment

Sending a letter might elicit a reply. If they do not agree with you, they may give reasons why.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Subbject access request (as per shortcuts panel on right) to credit card company to obtain copy of default letter

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X