• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help needed for defence for a court hearing - CCJ set aside, Bank Smart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed for defence for a court hearing - CCJ set aside, Bank Smart

Hello,

I have a CCJ filed against me using an old address by Bank Smart. They claim that as I made a payment towards one of their invoices six years and five months after the invoice, the statute of limitations doesn't apply and that the count down of six years was restarted when I made a payment. My understanding is that once a debt has passed the six years mark it becomes statute barred, even if someone makes a payment towards it.

I need assistance preparing my defence by the 24 January. Can anyone recommend a solicitor / lawyer who can help me with this?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Ask them for proof of that payment: How ,when made by who, from which bank, full details.

Comment

Originally posted by ajcbcn View Post
      Hello,

I have a CCJ filed against me using an old address by Bank Smart. They claim that as I made a payment towards one of their invoices six years and five months after the invoice, the statute of limitations doesn't apply and that the count down of six years was restarted when I made a payment. My understanding is that once a debt has passed the six years mark it becomes statute barred, even if someone makes a payment towards it.

I need assistance preparing my defence by the 24 January. Can anyone recommend a solicitor / lawyer who can help me with this?

Many thanks
      You've posted on another thread that it's for a set aside rather than to defend a claim, so it's not a defence you need but a witness statement to support your set aside application.

Did you defend the original claim or did you not know about it because the claim went to a previous address?

The limitations clock is re-set to six years at the point a payment towards a debt is made. But did the payment go towards that particular invoice?

Also is the claim for non-payment of commission or for either cancellation or breach of contract? It could matter because of this Bank Smart IMPORTANT UPDATE - LegalBeagles Forum

I can have a look but I need to see the following ASAP.

1. The claim form
      2. The invoice or if you don't have the invoice, a description of it.
      3. The correspondence between you & Bank Smart about the limitation issue.
      4. The CCJ

Send it to me at nick@legalbeaglesgroup.com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X