• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Old ccj

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old ccj

Hi,

I hope I'm posting in the correct place.

I have a ccj from some catalogue debts that is only a few months from being 6 years + old for £2800. The last time I heard from the company who was handling the debt they had offered me a large reduction so they can report it "partially settled" which was some time this year. Can someone advise me on the likelihood of this passing the 6 year mark without any trouble? Should I approach them and see if this reduction is still available just to get it settled? If it passes the 6 year mark can they still enforce the debt? I did exchange a few messages with them about the debt a few years ago aswell.

Its taken a long time to repair my credit report and i dont want to risk it as I would like to get a mortgage this year but the people that have handled the debt have been so unreasonable and harmful Id hoped they wouldnt get a penny out of me as pathetic as it sounds. I just dont want to approach them and find out that they want the full figure again.

Thanks

Scott
    Tags: None

The statute of limitations (six year rule) only applies to debt without a CCJ. The CCJ never runs out and the creditor can some time in the future ask the court to charge interest on the outstanding CCJ debt. So you either need to get the judgement set aside ( for which there are very limited grounds) or pay what you can as interest could well be accuing, it won't just go away and will be having a detrimental effect on your credit worthness.

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply.

Also thank you for the information its really helpful as I thought after 6 years it all goes away. Now wishing I just dealt with this earlier. Do I need anything from them if they make this offer again? for example something to say they wont chase me for the remainder of the debt?

Any and all advise is much appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

If you can get the Citizens Advice to approach your creditor in the first instance to negotiate a settlement figure and possible instalments this would be your best course of action. If the creditor has applied interest to the debt the initial £2800 plus six years interest could well have increased the debt. Careful negotiation would be required to get the desired result.

Comment

Thank you for you response.

The company chasing the debts got in touch earlier this year to make an offer for a reduced settlement. I am now in a position to pay it in full, should I follow that offer up directly with them? The date they said I should accept by has passed now but if they were going to accept that offer then and I can pay it in full, surely they wouldnt turn it down?

Comment

I refer you to my previous reply.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X