• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is my home safe from debt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my home safe from debt?

This is a long and slightly confusing one, I’ll try to explain the best I can.

I currently live in a house with my mum, my daughter (18) and my partner. Myself and my daughter are both disabled, my daughter from birth and myself only for the last year or so.
    The house is owned by my mum and her ex, who she was in an abusive relationship for many years (around 20 I think).
    During the relationship her ex ran up a lot of debt, either through bullying my mum til she sighed papers or through hiding the debt by stopping her access to joint accounts and falsifying the statements that he printed off for her.
    They split around 8 years ago after I discovered he had an entire fabricated life online, creating several different characters who would sing his praises, a lot of people fell for it, including his current partner
    It was verbally agreed that I would take over paying the mortgage which wasn’t easy, I was a single parent at that point, working but also raising my disabled daughter. If the house was sold there was nothing in our village that we could afford, even to rent so it would have been a lot of upheaval. Also the ex’s son (who is also my nephew as he got my 14 year old sister pregnant, yep he’s a top guy) also lived with us and would’ve had to change colleges right towards the end of his A - levels. As I’d be covering the mortgage the ex agreed that he’d pay the debts off. Half of the house is in trust to me for when the mortgage is paid off, the other half will go to my mum. That paperwork is signed and kept by a solicitor.
    There is only one loan secured on the house, he hasn’t fully paid that himself, I paid it for a few years through fear of losing the house, now he pays two thirds, my mum pays the rest out of her state pension. The other loans, which amount to about 20k we don’t think he is paying, they’ve chased my mum and have arranged payment plans (£1 a month) but the amount owed is only reducing by the amount she’s paying, no extra.
    Im aware we’ll have to pay off the secured loan before we can transfer half the house to me, that’ll be about 10k by the time the mortgage is paid but I’m worried that the unsecured loans could put a charge on the house when my mum dies or even before. Would transferring all of the house to me once the mortgage and secured loan is paid offer more protection? Or are we not at risk as long as the ex is alive as full responsibility transfers to him? I should say that he is much younger than my mum In his early 40s with 2 sources of income so he should be able to pay.
    Thanks for reading, sorry it’s so long but any advice will be gratefully received.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X