• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Who Pays?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Pays?

I employed a building contractor to build me a disabled persons shower room and bedroom. I paid him progress payments. The main builder I now understand employed sub contractors to do work. The builder, I now find out has not paid a sub contractor, there may be others. The main builder I understand has applied to go broke. A sub contractor has written to me asking for his money. What should I do?
    Tags: None

The main builder employed the sub contractor so the subbie should claim from them. You have had no contract with the subbie so they have no claim against you.

Comment

Your contract is with the main building contractor, it is for him to pay any sub-contractors as they work for him.

You did not employ them so you are under no obligation to pay them.

If the work is not complete, it may be better to employ your own tradesmen, not the sub-contractor to finish the work.

Comment

Originally posted by EnglandPi View Post
        Your contract is with the main building contractor, it is for him to pay any sub-contractors as they work for him.
        You did not employ them so you are under no obligation to pay them.
        If the work is not complete, it may be better to employ your own tradesmen, not the sub-contractor to finish the work.
        Thank you for your response. I am in empathy with the unpaid sub contractor as its a few thousand plus he is short of. The subcontractor's letter to me implies he still owns the goods as he has not been paid for their time or materials. His letter could not have come at a worse time as I was confirmed with the big C 12 hours before and I do not want this worry hanging around us.

Comment

If you pay the sub-contractor with whom you have no contract you will still owe the main-contractor with whom you do have a contract.

So in effect you could end up paying twice for the same work.

The sub-contractor may well own the goods in your property but once they are incorporated into your property he cannot interfere or remove them in any way. He would need to get payment from the main-contractor.
          Last edited by EnglandPi; 6th August 2021, 10:43:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X