• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vodafone Default for £50!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vodafone Default for £50!

Hi, I noticed a £50 default appear on my credit file through ClearScore some time ago for a contract belonging to an ex partners business.

as soon as I seen it I rang Vodafone to get it cleared but they couldn’t find any the account, spent hours on the phone and called into the shop, eventually someone found it and I paid it!. Now it’s on my file for 6 years and I can’t get a mortgage on the back of it. I’ve been paying a mortgage 9 years; and have no debt of any sort.

I don’t think this is fair considering she took it out in my name, and I never received any correspondence from Vodafone re the debt, any correspondence was posted to the premises that was closed. I called to try and talk to them and they pretty much said tough, and wouldn’t remove it. Any advise please? Thanks
    Tags: None

Hi MurphyB007

The Default is on your Credit File, so I don't think stating your ex partner etc, etc, is going to help. If anything it is going to be counter productive. The fact that you phoned to make a payment, but couldn't is more relevant.. If you have a record of the phone call, i.e. date and time that would be useful.

Read the following: https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/.../defaults.html
    Last edited by echat11; 3rd August 2021, 20:24:PM.

Comment

What if it was a case of she took the contract out in my name without my knowledge with her credit rating being that she couldn’t do it herself, just before i left her?

Comment

The thing is, that might be the case (unfair on you), but they will ask, 'you knew about it before now, but you chose to say nothing until now'.

You were trying to make a payment (successful) on an account that you knew was created fraudulently.

Comment

True, it’s a nightmare! They never phoned or e mailed re the small debt, and any correspondence must have been sent to the address of the closed property. Even if I paid the default within 1 day of seeing it would it have made a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by murphyb007 View Post
            True, it’s a nightmare! They never phoned or e mailed re the small debt, and any correspondence must have been sent to the address of the closed property. Even if I paid the default within 1 day of seeing it would it have made a difference?
            They are difficult to remove, they get added by technology. But you need to try as per the Experian link, scroll down. Are there any mitigating circumstances that lead up to the missed payment / default that you could put forward for their consideration?

Comment

Thank you, I’ll raise a dispute through Experian to see if that helps and let you know in case it can help anyone else

Comment

Ok, I’m like a dog with a bone.. I completed a subject access request and for all my notes on my file, 44 pages off stuff, went through it noticed a few things, most notable was that the Default was registered on my ClearScore at my parents parents address! A bill was posted to the business address in February then again in May, the default register in July. I never used my parents address as I had my own house. The default was registered at the wrong address.

I’ve a few other things I have to look into, but surely this is important, any advice appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Yes it's important. Keep 'trawling' through the SAR (44 pages) -

https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/...d-address.html

Comment

Just a quick update in case this is off any use to anyone. I spoke to Vodafone and the customer care guy was very helpful and was talking to the credit support team (who don't speak to customers apparently) They found it strange that is was registered at my parents address when there was no note or record of it on my notes. The credit support team assured my that even the default was registered at my parents address, it would be at the business address on Equifax. I checked my report through Checkmyfile.com and it was also registered at my parents address!. I was advised to raise a dispute through Equifax to get it removed.

I called today also and was advised by the customer service, that they can change the default address on the file, which I believe cant be done because it was an error. Im waiting to see if equifax can remove it.

Comment

Thanks for the update.

Comment

And the saga continues…

Vodafone contacted equifax to say that they have changed the address on equifax to the business address! As far as I was aware if a default or judgement was registered un error it is invalid. I didn’t know you could amend it? Can someone left me know please..

also, I know that CCJ can be removed when after it is registered if it is paid within 1 month. Does the same Apply for a default? As I had mentioned earlier, I had tried hard to contact Vodafone and no one was able to find the debt for a long time and the amount of time on the phone, chat and in-store was ridiculous. Is there anything in this?

thanks

Comment

What I would do is lodge a Formal Complain in writing with Vodafone. Thank them for sending you the SAR information. Explain that the default notice was sent to the wrong address, your parents address, you have evidence of that (the fact that they changed it). If it had been sent to the correct address, your business address then you would have paid it within 14 days and there would be no Default. (don't go into anything else, it is that straightforward). So you weren't aware of the Default Notice until it appeared on your Credit File. Explain that if they won't remove the Default Notice, you want a Final Response (they have 8 weeks) so that you can lodge a complaint with the Ombudsman.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X