• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overseas and struggling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overseas and struggling

Hello

I've been living in Asia since late 2019, bringing some UK debt with me that I have been paying off with no problems. Due to the pandemic, my pay has been reduced, and my spouse has lost her job in the hospitality industry.

Due to this, the UK debts have increased and our income has significantly reduced. We are now in the position that if we continue to pay the UK debts at the full amount we will end up in debt in the country we now live in.

All payments are up to date (2 credit cards and 2 unsecured loans) as of the 1st March. My thoughts are to write to the four creditors and ask for a reduced payment plan. However, from experiences a friend of mine has been through, and the low amount we can afford to pay back, these will most likely be rejected and the debts passed to DCAs.

I have tried to get a loan to consolidate everything but no one will offer this as we are not UK residents.

I have informed two of the creditors of my current address overseas. One of the credit cards I haven't as you can only update a UK address in their system. The other loan currently still with our UK address is with the same high street bank as our residential mortgage. We have a long term tenant in our property in the UK.

I still have a UK bank account with another bank that the tenant pays the rent into, and we transfer money to this account to pay the UK creditors each month. I also have a credit card with them that has zero balance.

I have mail redirection with Royal Mail set up and the tenant forwards anything they miss to my brother so I am confident that any communications would get to me in a reasonable time frame.

We want to ensure that nothing happens to our mortgaged UK property for obvious reasons. What is the worst-case scenario we are looking at here and what can we do to mitigate this taking on any advice this forum has to offer?

Thank you in advance.

Tags: None

Priority as i see it is keep payments to mortgage owner and any other card/loan with the bank, most others can do if CCA enforceable (many features can make them non unenforceable), if it went wrong and over £1000 owed on cards they might get charging order on the UK property, which means if sold they could get their money back in the future, see what other say!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X