• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Confusing debt, possibly from a bank account I closed 9 years ago?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusing debt, possibly from a bank account I closed 9 years ago?

Hello, I’ll try to keep this brief and to the point...

My parents received mail today with 2 letters (one from each of 2 debt collection agencies.) One letter stated that the debt I owed them for £500 had been passed to another agency. The second letter was from the other agency and claimed if I paid up 10 days, I could get away with £80.00. Very kind of them. That’s the first alarm bell. I never heard about this debt before today. The only reference they give is “Santander”. A bank I parted ways with just under 10 years ago! Plus both company letters were in the same envelope. How is that even possible?

It sounds too dodgy, but there could be a shred of evidence that it’s a crossed wire. I left Santander because they wrongly charged me for being 1p (yes, several hundreds of pounds of charges for 1 penny) overdrawn when in fact it was an admin error on their part. Took me 6 months and a threat of ombudsman action to get the charges removed. After this I closed the account and have not heard from them in almost 10 years.

Does this sound like a scam? I’ve not had any of the official debt collection letters. There’s no evidence of the debt being legitimate (which it’s not) and even if it was, don’t bank debts get written off after 6 or 7 years if there’s no contact?

I’m worried about contacting the agencies, firstly because of all the hassle and harassment it will likely involve my parents, who are pensioners (as mentioned before it was sent to their address. I live in another country.) Secondly, because I’m concerned if it’s a scam, that contacting them will alert them that I am real and make them work harder. Who would accept £80.00 to write off £500, without even asking for the full amount first??

what should I do?

any advice would be sincerely gladly received. Thanks, Bob
    Tags: None

They've bought the debt for not a lot, that's why they are making that offer. They would still be in profit.

Write back to them denying any liability for the alleged debt. Even if the debt were to exist it would be statute barred and you do not want to hear from them again.

Write using your overseas address and tell them that this is your address for service

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
      They've bought the debt for not a lot, that's why they are making that offer. They would still be in profit.

Write back to them denying any liability for the alleged debt. Even if the debt were to exist it would be statute barred and you do not want to hear from them again.

Write using your overseas address and tell them that this is your address for service
      Thanks for this. Should I ask them for information regarding the debt before claiming it to be statute barred? This is literally the only communication I’ve ever had from anyone regarding debt and it couldn’t be any vaguer. Im also cautious to give them my address. Is this necessary?

Comment

If the address is outside the jurisdiction of the UK courts they may be dissuaded from continuing.

It will also mean your parents will not be in line of fire.

You may get a letter stating that it is not statute barred because they received a payment , a ghost payment

Comment

I assume they’d still have to show that the payment was from me, which would be impossible of course. I did read on a few forums that people have had similar things happen. How unscrupulous do you need to be to make a living doing that?

Comment

Firstly this is covered by the statute of limitations which states any debt other than a mortgage or tax demand ceases to be able to be enforced through the legal system if it is more than six years old. A mortgage is twelve years and tax is not covered by the act. Secondly, two debt collection agencies cannot be instructed to collect the same debt at the same time.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X