• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HMRC overpayment chased by Advantis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMRC overpayment chased by Advantis

Hi guys,

Complicated story here, i'll simplify it as much as possible.

- HMRC are claiming to have made an overpayment from 2016, chased me for £2355. I complied, sent a SAR, which arrived 3 months later, they tried to reject a mandatory consideration, but it was finally granted, and £900 was deducted. At this point they had filed for and got a DEA, which was taking 12% of my wage (Barely above minimum wage btw). I battled this but eventually had to pay the remaining £1500 off which i borrowed because we had just had a mortgage agreed and this killed the mortgage.

- a few months later they start chasing me for the £900, claiming this was a separate overpayment. And due to no response from myself they had arranged another DEA. I tried to challenge this but everything was rejected. Then I complained twice, and both 'resolutions' were essentially shut up and pay us money. This was all dealt with HMRC direct

Fast forward to this year, we have just received a letter from Advantis, in my girlfriends name, requesting a debt of £3255 (The exact same total debt as mine). In thinking this might be an error, due to us recieving working tax credit for around a year totalling just over £3000, it seems they just wanted every penny back, and not double the amount.

On contacting Advantis, explaining to them that my house was vulnerable, due to baby's health, and my girlfriends English isn't sufficient to deal with legal or complex financial matters (lets be honest, most people I know aren't able to do so including me), Advantis refused to deal with me for a while. I provided letters, signed by my girlfriend etc, and yet they refuse to tell me anything except that the debt is not an error, and they will be proceding with collections.

I've contacted HMRC, explained the situation, and asked to deal with them directly, and they have refused. They have also informed me that any challenge would be rejected due to the time lapse.

I am stuck as to what is my next move, being non British, from a vulnerable household, and not working (She is a full time student), with a view of leaving the country after she finishes studying, how exactly can Advantis chase her?

Should I fully comply with Advantis? Should I update them on how difficult it is to recover the debt, due to everything within the home, including the home itself being in my name in the hope they refer back to HMRC.

I have informed everyone of vulnerable status, and tried to contact local MP to no avail.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Regards
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X