• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Partners debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partners debt

Hi
    me and my partner own our house as joint tenants with no mortgage, I’m employed and all bills and purchased go out through my bank account, she does not work and has no income and hasn’t for some time (worked 6 months on and off in last 4years). I’ve discovered that she had 3 credit cards and is being chased for debt by debt recover agency’s, she has not divulged this and found out from seeing the letters. My partner unfortunately has alcohol dependency issues and frequently buys alcohol daily-I’m forever finding empty wine bottles hidden in drawers. I had naively assumed she was purchasing these with her savings. I’m aware that the debt is in her name however concerned about what debt recovery agencies can enforce as I’ve read about change in order snd sale of property orders. First question can they force me to sell the house? We are not married. surprised how she got credit cards as her credit score is bad, when we went for a joint mortgage the bank would not give us one because of her score so I had to take it out on my own, and it is since been paid off-point out that she owned the house previously but owned a lot of money to ex as she was divorcing and as such needed to also get him off the deeds and had an outstanding mortgage so I paid a lump sum and took out a mortgage to clear old mortgage and what she owed ex. Will she be able to keep spending money on cards or get new cards if she is in debt and also will the existing debt just keep increasing due to monthly interest
    Tags: None

Charging orders - Citizens Advice

www.citizensadvice.org.uk › debt-and-money › chargi...
    If you own your property jointly with someone else but the debt is only in your ... After /IF they get the CCJ, their/your creditor must apply to the court again to get a ... If there's little or no equity in the property, your creditor wouldn't get their money ... For example, unsecured creditors can't make you sell your house to pay them back.

the charging order would be their share, you do not owe it so a court would not force a sale as you are innocent party.

Debt collection in early stages usually do not or are able to own debts, they get commissions on any collections, only a debt purchaser can apply for a CCJ, and then all their ducks have to be in order, such as CCA correct, default notices correct and so many other things?

but the on going problem is the actual situation, and needs help with drinks as you well know, another problem area,

Comment

Celestine

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X