• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and I'm looking for some advice.
    I'm facing financial problems, and it is all because of my wife. I'm going a bit personal to make you understand what situation has landed me into financial troubles. I have debts from multiple credit cards, and most of it was used by my wife that too sometimes without my consent. I married her two years ago. We are living separately since March and are heading for a legal divorce. She left me when my income was reduced and when my life became difficult due to debts and collection calls. Later, I found that she has rekindled her relationship with her ex. Here I'm struggling to make minimum monthly debt payments. Even if I called her to talk about this matter, she is not even responding without thinking that she is the reason why I'm in this debt trap. She was using me. I'm thinking about consolidating my debts to get rid of this situation faster. I strongly believe that she is also responsible for helping me to pay off my debts. She is still my wife! How can I proceed with debt consolidation involving her? If she doesn't allow, is it possible to take legal action? I need to know this. Please share your advice and thoughts.

Thanks
    Tags: None

If the credit cards are in your name only, you are liable for them. Your wife using your credit cards without your consent is potentially fraud. You would have needed to report it to the police and the credit card company as soon as you became aware to negate liability, particularly if you have consented to her using the cards since those non-consensual transactions.

Debt consolidation is only worth considering if taking out a loan works out cheaper when calculating interest and charges than paying the cards. And you may find it difficult to obtain a loan if you have a lot of credit already.

Legal action would mean reporting the transactions to the police which may be fruitless depending on the circumstances. You don't have any grounds for a civil claim unless you have evidence that money spent on your credit card was a loan. Your wife is only liable for her debts and any joint debts but you can negotiate financial settlements in any possible future divorce proceedings.

If you are struggling to meet minimum payments, you can produce a budget calculating how much disposable income you have and make reduced, pro-rata offers to non-priority creditors. If you don't have any disposable income, you can consider other options.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X