• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Home insurance default letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home insurance default letter

I had a renewal notice from LV insurance which I thought was far more expensive than the previous years, so I looked for another, cancelled the LV direct debit on the Tuesday (25th February) before the renewal started on the following Monday 1st March. I didn't manage to call the company to say I had cancelled as life got in the way and I forgot.

I have today received a default notice in the email and I am wondering where I stand. Would I have to pay anything considering I had cancelled nearly a week before the next renewal? Would I have to pay for just the two weeks of default?

I have cancelled a direct debit before and nothing like this has happened. It seems that these companies just keep jumping on the bandwagon to get money out of people, but that is just my opinion.
    Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated as I need to know my rights (if any) before I call them.

Thank you
    Tags: None

With any insurance policy auto renewal there is a 14-day cooling off period. Within these two-weeks*you are legally allowed to cancel your policy but you may have to pay some cancellation**and administration charges.

As your 14 days expires tomorrow get a move on.

I think your comments about "these companies" are a bit out of order seeing that you omitted to tell them you wanted to lapse the policy at renewal.
    Cancelling the direct debit does not cancel the policy, the insurers don't know why your direct debit failed.
    Auto renewal was introduced to help insureds who forgot to renew.... it seems whatever they do someone is upset!

Comment

Hey, WHISKER5. You're right, companies want to earn money from us. I had the same problem as you do now. I also received the letter in the email about insurance. According to the law, you can annul the policy within 2 weeks. So I did that fast and I started searching in Google in order to find something suitable. I barely found Money Expert home insurance. These guys provide the data about insurance companies in your state or city. You can choose the best variant for you according to your property and preferences which is very good.
      Last edited by DWatsn89; 6th July 2020, 17:44:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X