• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help sought about the technicalities of a verbal contract matter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help sought about the technicalities of a verbal contract matter

I would be grateful for some support and help from the LegalBeagles community of friends, please.

Issue
    (a) I'm seeking help with breaking down a verbal agreement into it's component elements which align to the legal framework, and also what I need to demonstrate in a court of law.* I am finding this very difficult to articulate in support of a money claim which I have recently filed.
    (b) How can I call witnesses who in fact are siblings of the debtor because I want to cross-examine them in front of the Judge.

Background
    A once trusted relative borrowed various sums of money over a 2-year period. To date, they have paid back 2 thirds of the debt, leaving still a substantial balance unpaid, despite exhaustive attempts to engage with them. I filed a money claim and in their defence, they are counterclaiming alleging harassment. This has left me gobsmacked as no harassment has occurred or even an exchange of bad words except seeking clarification from them as to when the loan is to be paid.* The agreed date for settling the loan has been and gone, almost a year has gone past with the balance remaining unpaid. The borrower is in paid employment working as a contractor in the health service. I estimate their take home pay is around £2000 per week.

Constraints
    (i) The borrower is alleging harassment & intimidation but has not cited a single harassment or intimidation incident;
    (ii) They are claiming that the money was a gift, despite that they have repaid 2 thirds of the amount owing;
    (iii) they're counterclaiming the same amount that is owing.
    (iv) They are claiming that they did not receive the 'letter before action' which I had sent them several months earlier;
    (v) In a separate development not linked to this issue, the individual has been suspended on full pay for theft from their work place.
    (vi) They have substantially amended their defence and counterclaim only a week before the case management deadline to submit the 'Allocation Questionnaire' and my defence against the 'counterclaim' - do they need the Court's permission to do this?
    (vii) They are saying that there was no witness to the verbal agreement, but I did ask them to speak to their siblings to confirm the loan at the relevant time when I was present

Legal framework
    I would be grateful for an outline of the legal framework I need to work with please so that I can do the necessary research.

Please do let me know if you need me to clarify any aspect.* In the meanwhile, I would greatly value your advice and steer.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
    Mack65
    Last edited by Mack65; 29th January 2020, 22:10:PM.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X