• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

legal aid charge no contact from them for 10 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legal aid charge no contact from them for 10 years

I am posting this on behalf on my partner, i will try keep as brief as possible.

In July 2007 as part of her divorce settlement she was awarded the family home.
    As she didn't have income at the time, due to being a full time mum with 3 children(1 in further education, 1 in Secondary school and 1 in primary school), she was aware that a charge would be put against the property for the legal aid fees incurred (£8750.00).
    Without going into details this was not an amicable divorce, it was contested by her ex who wanted the house sold with profits divided. So it was after a fight that the court award her the house, and nothing else or future claims on pensions etc.
    It was always her understanding that this charge would have to payed from the sale of the property or should her circumstances change allowing her to to repay the charge.

In May of 2017 she received a letter from the Legal aid Agency (this was the first contact from them for nearly 10 years) saying that she now owed £14.230.31.
    To say she was shocked doesn't really cover it! Upon contacting them to query this she was told that interest had been added at a rate of 8% and that the amount was correct, she asked why nobody had told her about the interest being added, and would been able to decide whether to at least make payments against the interest? The legal Aid Agency said they would look into this and get back to her.

In November of 2017 she received from the legal aid agency, copies of an Admin1/interest agreement signed and dated by her (July 2007) and a completion of registration from land registry Peterborough office, having looked through her paperwork from that time, and to best of her knowledge this is first time she has seen copies of either of these documents. although there is no doubt that she signed the admin agreement although at the time she suffering intense metal stress, and was more concerned with keeping a stable home/school life for the children rather than than having to sell the house. and move home.

Again without going into to much detail, my partner suffered the lost of her son in early 2018, so as you can imagine this matter was put on hold for a while.

While we not looking too have the charge wiped, we feel the interest charge is unfair both in terms of lack of correspondence and the rate which is 8% given for most of the period in question the bank of England base rate has been 0.5%!!

I guess my questions are as follows

Has any one else suffered a similar experience?

Is there any way of the interest charged between 2007 and 2017 being wiped, reduced or a way of appealing this, given that there was no correspondence from the legal aid recovery service between those dates?

Any advise/thoughts would be most welcome

thank you in advance

Tags: None

Its statutory interest, the current interest rate of 8% per annum, has been in place since 2005 under the Community Legal Service Regulations 2005. It is not negotiable.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...leaflet-v2.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by efpom View Post
      Its statutory interest, the current interest rate of 8% per annum, has been in place since 2005 under the Community Legal Service Regulations 2005. It is not negotiable.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...leaflet-v2.pdf
      thank you, i appreciate what your saying re the rate but what about the lack of contact?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X