• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi - problems with a credit card debt ,what's the best course of action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi - problems with a credit card debt ,what's the best course of action

Hi

Thanks for a great forum , i have a cc debt with a debt collection agency ,a month ago they offered me a discount pay £250 instead of over £2000 ,now they have sent me a letter offering a discount again but this time pay £550 for the same debt .
    I have checked all my files and found the default notice from cc company ,it states as follows--

Default notice dated 1st July 2013 -please pay arrears within 17 days of date of letter ( 18th July )another notice saying acc termination dated the 23rd july 2013 ,i have checked my credit file and a default is registered dated the 26th Aug 2013 ,is this debt due to become statute barred ? and wondering why the default date is Aug when i defaulted earlier ,should the SB clock run from the 18th July 2013 .

Thankyou

Miss Summer .
    Tags: None

Originally posted by summer2019 View Post
    Hi

Thanks for a great forum , i have a cc debt with a debt collection agency ,a month ago they offered me a discount pay £250 instead of over £2000 ,now they have sent me a letter offering a discount again but this time pay £550 for the same debt .
    I have checked all my files and found the default notice from cc company ,it states as follows--

Default notice dated 1st July 2013 -please pay arrears within 17 days of date of letter ( 18th July )another notice saying acc termination dated the 23rd july 2013 ,i have checked my credit file and a default is registered dated the 26th Aug 2013 ,is this debt due to become statute barred ? and wondering why the default date is Aug when i defaulted earlier ,should the SB clock run from the 18th July 2013 .

Thankyou

Miss Summer .
    Have you made any acknowledgement of this debt to the debt collection agency ?

£250 of a £2000 debt seems pretty good for a debt that wouldn't be statute barred for a couple of months ( from when they sent that offer )

Cause of action date would be the 18th July when the time ran out on the default notice, so yes, if they take no action by the 18th July, and you have made no acknowledgement nor payment of the debt since receiving that default notice July 2013, you could defend on statute barred grounds. However, if they put a court claim in on say, 17th July, that defence won't be open to you and you'd possibly end up liable for the full £2k plus the court costs.

Credit files are often a month or so out of kilter to the actual default date as it depends when the credit company make their reports etc, so its okay to check credit file for an idea but don't rely on exact dates.

So can you tell us what the original debt was and who the debt collection agency is?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi and thanks for the help .

No contact or acknowledgement has ever been made, Credit card was with Mbna and Cabot now own the debt .
      I was going through a bad patch at the time and buried my head in the sand .
      The letter states that if i pay they will "close" the account ,but doesn't actually mention that it's a full and final payment ,could they take money and just sell balance on and i have acknowledged the debt ?
      After some reading and advice am i right in thinking they have to send me a Pre action notice before a claim and i have 30 days to reply which is getting close to the 18th July deadline ?

Really appreciate your help at this worrying time .

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X