• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Chased for a debt that’s not mine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chased for a debt that’s not mine

I’ve had a letter from lowell solicitors some months ago chasing me for a debt for £1600 that I know nothing about and I would certainly remember a debt that amount to a company called provident ( having googled these a door step lender ) I’ve lived at my current address for 7 years and have never taken out any door step loans !!!
    It suddenly appeared on my credit file some months ago as the whole amount no payments have ever made so all very odd. I reported it to noodle who were pretty useless saying nothing they can do. I sent a prove it letter to Lowell and despite several letter from them saying they are investigating I’ve heard nothing for months.
    What can I do to get this taken off my credit file or at least investigated obviously I have nothing related to this debt apart from Lowell letters
    thanks
    Tags: None

So you send a SAR to Provident to see what they have about you. https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Could be someone has applied for a loan ion your name with no intention of paying.

Comment

Originally posted by Roxy123 View Post
      I’ve had a letter from lowell solicitors some months ago chasing me for a debt for £1600 that I know nothing about and I would certainly remember a debt that amount to a company called provident ( having googled these a door step lender ) I’ve lived at my current address for 7 years and have never taken out any door step loans !!!
      It suddenly appeared on my credit file some months ago as the whole amount no payments have ever made so all very odd. I reported it to noodle who were pretty useless saying nothing they can do. I sent a prove it letter to Lowell and despite several letter from them saying they are investigating I’ve heard nothing for months.
      What can I do to get this taken off my credit file or at least investigated obviously I have nothing related to this debt apart from Lowell letters
      thanks
      you are entitled to write to Lowells and tell them you dispute having such a debt, the FCA handbook CONC 7 is clear on how they should behave, they should investigate your claims fully and should stop all debt collection work while investigating
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thanks for this, so since my earlier post I’ve had a letter and some documents from Lowell relating to this debt and it appears it’s 6 and half years ago basically Lowell sent though some statement of payments I made towards this debt the last being back in sept 2012, and then asking me to set up a payment arrangement as they say they confirmed the debt is mine. I have never acknowledged this debt at all since this payment in 2012 and only sent a prove it letter, am I right in thinking this is statute barred ? So they cannot take me to court
        It also looks like Lowell bought the debt in 2014 according to the letter they sent so have recorded the default date as then which would be incorrect ? I have never received any letters or anything relating to this debt until this year. Any advice on what I should do was thinking of sending a statue barred letter to them but what can I do about the default they have registered. I have logged it as a dispute with credit reference agency

Comment

Do you now recognise the debt ?

The statute barred status will be taken from the date of default - did you send a SAR to Provident at all ? Have Lowell actually reported the default date as 2014 or is that just when they took over the reporting of the debt ? On noddle it should show the actual date of default which may be before the first D marker ( if Provident hadn't reported and Lowell only started reporting when they bought the debt in 2014 )
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I only sent a prove it letter to lowell and yes I recognise the company, having checked back through statements I found payments Id made to them totalling £1980 on a £2000 loan which is probably why I didn't recognise it I guess I thought id paid it when I looked at bank statements ,therefore the debt £1600 is purely the interest and no wonder provident have never been bothered to contact me and just sold the debt (really cant believe I was so stupid back then )
            so the debt isn't SB and I really don't want this to end up as a CCJ is there anything I can do, I thought about making a full and final settlement offer but this would be for a small percent like £300 as that is all I have.
            so far Ive not replied to Lowell since they sent me a copy of the credit agreement on 13/03 so feel time is running out before they issue court claim forms
            Last edited by Roxy123; 21st March 2019, 11:14:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X