• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gaining control over my childrens building society accounts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaining control over my childrens building society accounts

Hi,

I am wondering what can be done about obtaining control over my two children's building society accounts. The children in question are 4 and 2 years old.

The accounts were opened by my long term partner of 10 years and mother to the children. We have been separated 9 months.

After the ex opening these accounts with a nominal £20 deposit, I've paid in £100 per month, per child from my personal bank account. This is all corroborated by bank cash withdrawals from my current account and deposits for matching amounts on the same day into the children's accounts.

The ex is very bad with money, and has a loan, 2x maxed credit card, maxed catalogue account, £7k outstanding in car finance. I don't trust that she will not withdraw these funds to resolve her own financial issues. As we're still co-habiting and I have zero trust for her, all my valuables, numerous watches, children's building society books etc are all permanently stored in my car.

My plan was to withdraw all monies that I could account for and open two Junior ISA's to deposit into, to ensure the funds would be locked away until they're 18.. At the point of attempting withdrawal, I was told that I had no control over these accounts.

Is there anything that can be done? Or is it an open and closed case?

If there's no legal route that can be taken, I'm in a catch 22, in the sense that If I do ask her to sign a form to allow me control of the accounts, it will jog her memory that there is money there and she may then be inclined to refuse to allow me control and go draw the cash. I feel it may be better to just keep completely shtum.

As there's no online access to view account balance, the only other thing I can think of doing is to monitor the account, by simply neglecting to put away the £100 a monthly and instead hold it in my own savings temporarily, then just pay in a nominal £5 every couple of months, for the purpose of getting the savings book updated, to confirm that nothing has been withdrawn.
    Tags: None

Sorry to sound picky but you say you are separated from your partner but still cohabit with her (cohabit definition: live together and have a sexual relationship without being married)
    Do you mean "separated" but still living in same property?

Regarding the Building Society accounts, if your ex is the signatory there is little you can do.

I'm concerned that you think your car is a safe place to leave valuables. Not only are they vulnerable, I doubt they are covered by insurance.
    I would suggest either renting a safe deposit box or investing in a small home safe and insurance

Regarding your ongoing plans to continue investing for your children, why not open the junior ISAs and invest in them rather than holding the money in your own savings?

Comment

Hi,

Sorry.. To clarify.:

We are separated, but still live under the same roof

The car in question is only ever used for commuting between a secure car park and garaged at home, but I take your point and will look into this, although with the watches especially, I'd want access to these on a daily basis, so home safe seems best option.

The plans to invest for the children could go straight into a Junior ISA I suppose, the point I was trying to get across was to just deposit nominal amounts into the building society, as a means of getting the book updated to check the balance.

Since you mention there's little I can do, I guess I'll just keep quiet, so as not to jog her memory.. and bite the bullet on those funds if/when it does happen.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X