• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Self Assessment Tax Return

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Assessment Tax Return

Hi,
    I was unsure where to post this thread so hope this is ok.

I have been a PAYE employee since I first started working, I got a job in 2013 and was in the same employment until early 2017.
    I started university Sept 2016.

I recieved a letter in March stating I had to fill out a Self Assessment Tax Return for underpaid tax in 2015/16. I briefly remember phoning HMRC up and being confused about the whole situation, they had told me I was due £56.02. I told them I didn’t have a job and was a student and honestly from there I don’t know what happened as I must have been under the impression that because I couldn’t pay it that was it until I got a job and could.
    Unaware of the fact I needed to fill out the Self Assessment form within 3 months as I have never been through anything like this before, in July I recieved letters regarding penalties. One £100 penalty for tax year 2014/15, Another £100 penalty for tax year 2015/16 (which is fine) and lastly £100 penalty for tax year 2016/17. I phoned HMRC as I was hugely concerned and confused, they told me to fill out the Self Assessment form, which I did - being an amateur that I am and after speaking to them I was under the impression that after filling it out and them seeing I wasn’t required to fill these out they would take the penalties off.

After not hearing from them after filling out the SA in early August, I recieved a letter today stating I am due £240 immediately for the penalties.
    After speaking to HMRC today they informed me of the fact I wasn’t due any tax in the first place and that £60 had been refunded and taken off the full balance.
    I take full responsibility for the late filling out of the Self Assessment form for the year they were asking - 2015/16 after looking into what I should have done. However, I don’t fully understand why I am being charged for tax years 2014/15 and 2016/17 if it was just apparent underpaid tax from 2015/16.

If anyone can shed some light if this is correct or not that would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X