• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Northern Rock issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Rock issues

Hi My husband and I took out a NR Together Mortgage in 2005 - sold the house after I became ill in 2007 and this left the unsecured loan outstanding. NR classed it as a de-linked unsecured loan at a higher interest rate. We couldnt make regular payments and eventually the account was transferred to their solicitors. Around 2012 we were able to access debt advice due to my ill health (Mental Health) and was able to organise our finances and make regular payments to NR and our other creditors.
    Last year it was deemed by our local NHS that I fell in a gap to provide psychiatric services and was told to pay for them myself privately - I contacted all our creditors and was really shocked to find that on giving them some info a high percentage closed the files / wrote off the debt. NR 's solicitors contacted NRAM and said that we were vulnerable and that the debt should be paid off.We were then transferred back to Northern ROck This is however when we were faced with NRs collection team.
    We had to apply for Debt foregiveness they took 6 months to make a decision and it was declined. We have recently re-submitted a new income and expenditure to them and will await their answer.
    In the process of obtaining debt advice - many organisations have suggested that
    a) they are not dealing with us in line with FCA guidelines / MALG on Mental Health grounds
    b) that the paperwork that we have been given in the past by NRAM is not correct or there is a lack of paperwork
    c) is it an unsecured loan or mortgage ?

We made a complaint to the Financial Ombudesman about how they were taking too long and the way we were treated and this has been upheld in our favour. However upon contacting them they are now asking a lot of strange questions for example "does your husbands employer know he has MH problems" etc etc
    I asked them about providing statements and they informed me
    "we do not give statements to customers who have a mortgage shortfall - these are available on-request" (i dont understand this as up until a few years ago they were charging us interest and fees - I then asked the question is this classed as a loan or a mortgage shortfall - they tell me its the same thing however other organisations tell me it cant be it has to be one or the other.

I have a lot of the paperwork but some over the years has gone missing. so i cant piece together a timeline.

My husband and I really are so very confused - its having a huge impact on our health and I have become worse. It was suggested we see a solicitor but we cant afford one. We dont understand the FCA paperwork and no-one will really explain it

Is there anything we should be asking or doing? how can I find out if they are doing anything wrong?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    (PS I should just add for info this was a 30 year loan taken out in 2005)

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X