• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Compass debt company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Compass debt company

I've paid Abbey, for 2 months now & they've sent out letters. Just about 2 cancel, so called Stepchange yesterday. They suggested that I pay much more towards my debts than what I was paying 2 Compass which is going 2 b a struggle 😣 I've got 2 creditors, Mint credit card & RBS loan, how do I go about doing my own Debt managment plan? Any advice would b greatly appreciated

Comment

I hope nobody minds the updates and inevitable questions I ask.

Letters written to all and sent off registered post

Letter to Abbey being drafted to cancel and ask for the two months fees back as creditors have been in touch directly and clearly Abbey have done nothing for their money so far.

Thanks to WingCo for tip top support. I wanted to ask a couple of questions about F and Fs, in case anyone knows. If I have a bunch with one DCA can I pay them off early individually or will the DCA insist on all at once? (I am still clouded by the poor advise I got from Compass)

Once agency send out "call our office for a settlement discount" letter but I am ignoring that as its clearly just to get someone on the phone. However, is there a particular procedure for asking for a settlement figure?

When settling is it best to call and pay over the phone / postal order or what ? (particularly important if I have more than debt at a creditor)

Sorry again for stupid questions

- - - Updated - - -

A couple of our creditors have been in contact very recently so I presume that Abbey haven't done a thing yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat80 View Post
        I've paid Abbey, for 2 months now & they've sent out letters. Just about 2 cancel, so called Stepchange yesterday. They suggested that I pay much more towards my debts than what I was paying 2 Compass which is going 2 b a struggle  I've got 2 creditors, Mint credit card & RBS loan, how do I go about doing my own Debt managment plan? Any advice would b greatly appreciated
        I had the same problem with Stepchange - they wanted nearly 3 times the £300 Compass wanted. If I were you I would simply pay each creditor slightly more than Compass - how can they refuse? I rounded all payments of less than £5 up to £10, those between £5 & £10 up to £15, and the higher ones I offered £20-£30; the total was £210 per month. a saving of £90 per month. None has refused my offers.

Then you need to send out Consumer Credit Act (CCA) letters to all your Debt Collection Agencies (DCA) and ask for balances - there are plenty of templates on here and I posted one version a few pages back. You have to enclose a blank £1 postal order with the words "For statutory fee use only" on both sides and clear of the payee line so that the DCA can enter the correct payee.

Advise all you creditors that you were a client of Compass (they will know what has happened), and state that you are now doing your own DMP, and enclose your first 'generous' payment.

You must now keep really good files of all your correspondence. I bought some coloured plastic envelope folders on Amazon and they help me separate the correspondence easily.

Than keep a monthly record of your balances and payments and enjoy the fun. But more importantly, keep us informed and you will be helping others.

If you need any further help, just ask.

Wingco
        Last edited by Wingco; 23rd April 2016, 08:06:AM. Reason: Grammar!! None has not none have. Pedant!

Comment

Did you just send them a letter explaining what has happend with Compass? How do u pay the creditors, is it by standing order?

Comment

Did you just send them a letter explaining what has happend with Compass? How do u pay the creditors, is it by standing order?
            With Mint, I initially sent them a letter, they then sent me an income and expenditure form to fill in and send back, then they rang me yesterday, they are really understanding if you explain what has happened with Compass, they even gave me a free phone no to call them on, (let me know if you want it). they just want to make sure you can meet the repayments, what I did was ask them to accept the same payment as compass was paying them, and then increase if you need to, we agreed on an extra £10 a month, they do prefer you to pay by standing order, also check that all interest and charges have been frozen.
            You could just ring them, I normally write to them as a takes a bit longer (delaying tactics)!
            Sorry don't know anything about RBS.

Comment

Hi, I was just wondering if there has been any news/update from the liquidator since the meeting please?

Comment

Did you just send them a letter explaining what has happened with Compass? How do u pay the creditors, is it by standing order?
                Cat80
                It's far better to do everything by SO as you are in control. A DDM can be more difficult to cancel but it is getting easier. You may find obtaining the correct payment details difficult with some DCAs but in those cases send them a registered letter with a cheque or postal order.
                There is no need to explain what has happened to Compass, they know fully what has happened and will be delighted you have written to them.
                Just start your letter with "I am ex-Compass client and since they have gone into liquidation, I am starting my own DMP. Accordingly, I have enclosed a cheque to the value of £10 (previously you accepted £3.47p from Compass). Please provide your bank account details and a suitable reference for my future payments.
                or
                Accordingly, I have set up a standing order using my Compass reference number.
                End your letter by asking for a statement of your account with the latest balance.
                Wingco

- - - Updated - - -

I've paid Abbey, for 2 months now & they've sent out letters. Just about 2 cancel, so called Stepchange yesterday. They suggested that I pay much more towards my debts than what I was paying 2 Compass which is going 2 b a struggle  I've got 2 creditors, Mint credit card & RBS loan, how do I go about doing my own Debt management plan? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
                Cat80
                I would ask Abbey for copies of the letters they claim to have sent out. If you get sight of them, please let us know and if able, post them on here but remove your details first!

Comment

Originally posted by sal77 View Post
                  Hi, I was just wondering if there has been any news/update from the liquidator since the meeting please?
                  It will take weeks. They have sent out an initial letter to all of the clients whom they have addresses for. But it is a huge and costly administrative function. The Bournes DMC liquidation is still ongoing some 3 years later. I'm not expecting to hear much within 3-4 months but rest assured, as soon as the committee hears anything, I will post an update on here. Just sit tight.
                  Wingco

Comment

Originally posted by mox113 View Post
                    I wanted to ask a couple of questions about F and Fs, in case anyone knows. If I have a bunch with one DCA can I pay them off early individually or will the DCA insist on all at once? (I am still clouded by the poor advise I got from Compass)

Once agency send out "call our office for a settlement discount" letter but I am ignoring that as its clearly just to get someone on the phone. However, is there a particular procedure for asking for a settlement figure?

When settling is it best to call and pay over the phone / postal order or what ? (particularly important if I have more than debt at a creditor)

Sorry again for stupid questions
                    Regardless of what Compass may have said, multiple debts with a particular DCA will have their own individual status so should be treated separately.

On full & final settlements [MENTION=48934]Debt Camel[/MENTION] is the best person to ask. There's a guide here http://debtcamel.co.uk/debt-options/...on/full-final/

Comment

Thank you for all your advice!

Comment

Originally posted by sal77 View Post
                        Hi Sal
                        Whilst sorting out some related paperwork this afternoon, I found a letter from AABRS saying that they will report to the Committee every 6 months and therefore the first report is unlikely before September. I hope that helps.
                        Wingco

Comment

I have sent a cancellation letter to Abbey & cancelled the standing order. I've requested copies of any letters they may have sent & a refund of the payments I've made. I have spoken 2 Mint credit card & Allied international (who have taken over the RBS debt) over the phone. They were both aware of the situation with Compass. They are both sending out a an income & expenditure form for me to complete in order to set up a payment plan. Will keep you all updated!!

Comment

I have sent a cancellation letter to Abbey & cancelled the standing order. I've requested copies of any letters they may have sent & a refund of the payments I've made. I have spoken 2 Mint credit card & Allied international (who have taken over the RBS debt) over the phone. They were both aware of the situation with Compass. They are both sending out a an income & expenditure form for me to complete in order to set up a payment plan. Will keep you all updated!!
                            Hi Cat
                            When you get the form, sit on it for a few days as you undoubtedly forget things; one element that wasn't covered on the Stepchange I&E was Christmas, Anniversaries and Birthdays. If you average these over the 12 moths it is quite a significant amount. I also kept a record of 2-weeks outgoings and things like toll charges *Dartford Crossing', parking fees, Broadband costs and other website and Internet fees (more appropriate for the self-employed). You are entitled to put in an element for an annual holiday which is likely to exceed £100 per month. If you own your own home, maintenance and appliance repairs/guarantees/servicing are a necessary expenditure. If you rent, don't forget admin fees, agent's fees, maintenance, etc. If you own a car, don't forget MOT, Servicing, Insurance and repair costs. I also allow a monthly saving to pay for replacing my car(s) It should also include an element for regular maintenance such as tyres, exhausts, wipers, etc. If you forget things, it is often too late to add them later. It is surprising when you keep good monthly expenditure accounts how much you spend on miscellaneous items. you can include magazines and newspapers within reason, perhaps £30 per month. Mobile phones and broadband charges are on most people's list of monthly outgoings as are the odd insurance for certain appliances. Don't forget hairdressing, dentistry and prescription charges. Most of these items are missing from the standard I&E forms.
                            Better to overestimate than leave yourself short each month. They will let you know if they disagree with anything.
                            Wingco
                            Last edited by Wingco; 4th May 2016, 20:27:PM.

Comment

Thank you, very useful stuff on this site, we wish we had found it sooner. Letters are starting to come back from creditors now and I am hopeful it should not be too bumpy a ride.

Thanks to everyone on here for your support.

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                              Regardless of what Compass may have said, multiple debts with a particular DCA will have their own individual status so should be treated separately.

On full & final settlements @Debt Camel is the best person to ask. There's a guide here http://debtcamel.co.uk/debt-options/...on/full-final/

Comment

Originally posted by mox113 View Post
                                Thank you, very useful stuff on this site, we wish we had found it sooner. Letters are starting to come back from creditors now and I am hopeful it should not be too bumpy a ride.

Thanks to everyone on here for your support.
                                I found the site really useful too and am now kicking myself for getting drawn in by compass. Every creditor thus far has been sympathetic, helpful and understanding. Far from the monsters, from which I needed to be protected at all costs, portrayed by compass. Thank you all so much for your support and guidance.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X