• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Beware of Gregory Pennington 'Commited to great service!' newsletter...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of Gregory Pennington 'Commited to great service!' newsletter...

Just wanted to give a 'Heads Up' to all those who have an account with Think Banking/Gregory Pennington who may not have read this circular letter all the way through...

My son has an account and got a letter recently entitled 'Committed to Great Service' - the front page of which looked fairly innocuous - announcing a new Online service and a paragraph on 'Looking after your best interests' etc

It's the kind of marketing flyer you might get from a utility company or someone trying to sell you a new service etc that you'd glance at and then throw in the recycling bin.

My son did just that.

However, my wife has gotten rather good at checking over stuff that son is ignoring and read the whole letter.

Oh dear! on page 2...under another innocuous title ('Great Service and Value for Money') is a para with a message:
    "As of 24th September we will be introducing a small increase to your monthly management fee, which will go from 15% to 17.5% and we will be amending our minimum and maximum monthly charges."

It then goes on to say what the new repayment schedule will be.
    And then:
    "If for any reason you feel that the proposed increase above is unaffordable..... we will attempt to negotiate alternative arrangements with your creditors on the basis that we will be distributing slightly less of your monthly payment to us, which will remain the same."

In other words 'we're going to take our increased cut and there will be less for paying off your debts'.
    It then gives a time limit to make contact.

I think this is apalling 'hiding' really quite important information within the letter in this way. A 2.5% charge increase may sound a small number but it may make the difference between being able to afford a repayment or not to someone with reduced means - probably most of Penningtons' clients.

Am I over-reacting here or does anyone else feel similar?

Andy
    Tags: None

Re: Beware of Gregory Pennington 'Commited to great service!' newsletter...

Does seem a bit of a nerve. Do the original t & cs contain a provision allowing fees to be increased? If not, Think Banking need to Think Again.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X