• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dawsey cancelled phone contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dawsey cancelled phone contract

right .... you here mate?
    Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
    Me VS Abbey Win
    BIL HSBC Credit Card
    BIL EGG
    BIL HSBC Loan
    BIL PPI Win

Re: Dawsey cancelled phone contract

OK I guess I'll start my quoting a letter that I sent to Three, which explains everything.

3rd May 2008

To whom it may concern,

I would be grateful if you could resolve an issue I’m having with yourselves 3G. If I start by explaining the situation which you can then reference with your record database that I know you have from past communication.

Up until November 2005 I had a contract with Three. On that date I reported my phone stolen & had my sim blocked and contract cancelled.

Beginning of July 2007 you can imagine my surprise when I received a letter from Wescott credit services demanding the outstanding balance of £501.54. At first I was confused as to who Hutchison 3G were but quickly found out whilst trying to chase up the issue that week.

I’ve had no communication with your company issuing me with bills which I can only assume had been charged monthly for 16 months based on the £501.54 and estimated monthly bill of £30. I never received a monthly letter for that 16 month period.

I’m a little shocked as to:

1)Why in 2005 my account was not terminated as asked, when reported stolen.

2)Why have you waited some 2 years in order for you to realise that I apparently owe you money which I strongly dispute which has also built up over a 16 month period. Absurd when you consider I haven’t owned a 3 phone too use your service you supposedly want me to pay for since November 2005

3)Why a statement of request was not sent to me by Hutchinson 3G UK in the first instance, as opposed to having to hear first from a debt collection agency?

4)If I still have any accounts showing as open – please, close them immediately as they should have been in 2005.

5)I am led to understand that you have filed a default to the credit referencing agencies. Could this please be removed?

6)After Explaining to Wescott the first credit service agency, they said they would investigate that matter. 27/08/2007 they sent me a letter of communication saying after the investigation of my query no further action would be taken. (find letter attached)

I can only assume a gross mistake happened somewhere along the lines, considering the above factors. If you could kindly fix the issue ASAP it would be much appreciated. It’s not only damaging my credit but causing me a great deal of stress especially now as I’m a final year university student with hand-ins a week or so away.

I’m now being hounded by different credit recovery agencies which I have explained the same issue too, its affecting my grades.

C.A.R.S said they would phone me back later that day in February 2008 after I told them about Wescott with no further written correspondence from them. Instead I’ve been contacted by a 3rd company, Court link UK who I’ve again explained the mistake too. They have advised me to contact you directly to resolve the issue.

I’ve also sought advice from the information commissioner’s office who has told me to contact you directly. In the first instance

Again anything you could do to help resolve the issue would be very much appreciated.

Yours faithfully,

xxxxxxxxxxxx
    btw I had a 12 month phone contract that ended in November 2005. Hence why I asked for it to be cancelled instead of getting a fresh phone they would charge me for. I figure I could terminate this one and start a new one with a better phone etc.

Anyway next is the letter attached from wescott debt collection guys. These were the first people tasked with trying to get the money off me. After I explained what happed they were very helpful to the abvious error and said they would investigate. This was the letter I got back from them.

Since then I've had other collection agency's try get the money off me. I explained the same thing and logic seems to fail them.

I resorted to writing too three which was the orginal quoted letter and to the information commisioners office. ICO is yet to get back to me.

Today I finally get a email from the executive office/customer services.

Hi *****

I’m sorry to know that you had to write to us again about the cancellation and the balance on your account.

I can understand how upsetting this has been for you. We sent you an email on 31 May addressing all your concerns but I believe you haven’t received it. So for your convenience, I’m explaining the details once again for you.

Your contract end date was 30 November 2005. To cancel you need to give us 30 days’ notice. It looks like the confusion was caused by the fact that we have no record of you cancelling in November 2005, when you reported your phone stolen. Because of this your contract remained active and you were charged for monthly line rental, even though you haven’t used the services since then. However your account was closed on 19 January 2007 due to non payments and this is the only account, I was able to find with your details.

You called us on 13 May 2005 to change your billing address to ** B***** Road, Stafford, Staffordshire, **** ***. But on 26 September 2005, your monthly bills were returned to us. So due to the security reasons we stopped sending you bills. As we were unable to send you bills and also there were no payments made on the account, your account was passed to debt collection agency.

The charges applied on your account are correct, so I’d ask you to contact CARS to make payment of £501.54 as soon as possible. After this amount is cleared, we’ll be happy to update your credit file. But the payment history shown on the file will be a true reflection of how the account was managed. I’ve also arranged to send you a letter via post with the same details. You should receive this letter within five working days at your billing address.

I hope I’ve explained you clearly the details about the cancellation and the balance on your account. But if you still have any more questions, just ring us on 333 (free from any 3 mobile) or 08707 330333 (national rate) from any phone.

Your views and opinions are important to us. Please take two minutes to complete our short survey at http://www.three.co.uk/responsesurvey. Your feedback will help us deliver a better customer experience.

Regards

Sonal Kudav
    3 Customer Services
    08707 330 333
    Welcome to 3
    I should point out that B***** Road address they have is correct. I think there not telling the truth again (they had told me before on the phone there records show monthly letters) and letters got sent to the old address which I know had be boucing my letters back to banks, three etc.

I also have some email corrospondence with the new credit collection company if interested that I can quote here.

Thanks for the help

// Daws
    Last edited by Amethyst; 2nd July 2008, 22:02:PM.

Comment

:bump:
      Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
      Me VS Abbey Win
      BIL HSBC Credit Card
      BIL EGG
      BIL HSBC Loan
      BIL PPI Win

Comment

Do you have some record that your contract was cancelled?

Usually, in a case where a mobile 'phone is stolen and reported as such, a new sim (and sometimes a new number) are issued to you by your network provider, for which there may be a small fee. However, they do not automatically cancel the contract.

The value to the network is in the ongoing contract, not the actual sim card itself and having a telephone stolen is not all that rare.
        Last edited by Cetelco; 4th July 2008, 17:15:PM. Reason: pedantess

Comment

Out of interest did you arrange with the Post office to have your letters re-directed? If you did and have the proof and have not received letters - then that would help show they were lying about the chase up letters.

How soon after the cancellation did you move? Or was that before the cancellation?

Sorry to be ignorant but arent these contracts normally on DD? So did you just cancel the DD with the bank? If that is the case and you are still with the same bank could they not have tried to contact you though the bank ?
          "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
            Do you have some record that your contract was cancelled?

Usually, in a case where a mobile 'phone is stolen and reported as such, a new sim (and sometimes a new number) are issued to you by your network provider, for which there may be a small fee. However, they do not automatically cancel the contract.

The value to the network is in the ongoing contract, not the actual sim card itself and having a telephone stolen is not all that rare.
            Do you have some record that your contract was cancelled? no record as I cancelled over the phone.

They mentioned a fee when I lost the phone, along with the fact I had no insurance which meant I would have to pay for a new phone too. For this very reason I requested for the phone to be terminated due to the fact I was at the end of a 12 month contract. Getting a new one would mean free phone etc.

Out of interest did you arrange with the Post office to have your letters re-directed? If you did and have the proof and have not received letters - then that would help show they were lying about the chase up letters.
            Nope to explain, at the time I used to live with my dad. I moved back with my mum due to it being closer to university etc. This is why the address was change. Unfortunately my step mum forwarded letter on back to sender instead of holding onto them for me.

I contacted them about the change of address as they stated in the letter

You called us on 13 May 2005 to change your billing address to ** B***** Road, Stafford, Staffordshire, **** ***.
            Note how I informed them in May.

But on 26 September 2005, your monthly bills were returned to us.
            That would suggest they carried on sending them to my old address. Also note how they stop sending me letters in September. That would mean after I reported my phone stolen in November three are admitting nothing else was sent to me and in turn I had no reason to think otherwise that my contract was nothing else but terminated.

How soon after the cancellation did you move? Or was that before the cancellation?
            well before.

DD was cancelled before the phone was lost, although they did have my details. They also had multiple phone numbers they could of contacted me on. 3 of them in fact.
            ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
            There's been a development. C.A.R.S is telling me there about to hand the claim back to three with the recommendation of court action must be the third company to say that...

Three have now sent me in writing the email above. Was a bit worried I'd only have the electronic email they could deny. I now have the hard copy of the above claims.

And lastly the ICO have Finally got back to me. Only took 4 months. Anyway there after all correspondence etc. I think its probably in the bag now. Soon as ICO contact them with the letter saying they stopped sending me bills, billing me for 16months etc they havnt really got a leg to stand on imo.

Will keep you updated, suggestions still welcome. I not convinced this will be the end of it yet.
            Last edited by DawseyY2K; 7th July 2008, 00:24:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hope it goes ok

keep in touch and let us know.
              "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X