• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Don't sign a damned thing - WARNING TO ALL!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't sign a damned thing - WARNING TO ALL!

I recently came into commercial contact with a company called " UK Debt and Legal Services UK Debt & Legal Services Ltd. from Newcastle.

They are effectively a door to door dca. I was given a demonstration on how the Debt Collection agents they employ operate. I was told they got little or no information from the Bank,finance company, Utility company or whoever instructs them to collect a debt other than a name, address, phone number and amount - that's all - and the chap laughed as if to say " so what?".. I sat and played like a business buyer and said "so tell me more" - he then proudly showed me the tools they use and a gadget that looks like a fat pen.

What this company have are roaming collectors like cabs running around town right across the country.. they have with them one of those gadgets like the delivery men have which you sign or the gas man walks around with to take readings - punching in the numbers -hand held thingy.

A bank, utility company any creditor sends in an instruction electronically to this firms head office in Newcastle with those basic details above. It is immediately sent to a roaming collector onto this hand held gadget at the speed of a text. All he has is a name, client, address and amount, he then goes to the house to ask the debtor to make an arrangement to pay.. he then takes this fat pen and begins to fill in a form with the customers details and gets the customer to sign the form with this pen..."please sign here" if he can get the customer to complete the form so much the better.

The Pen has a minute camera in the tip and while the form is being filled in it is transmitting exactly what is written onto a format back in the office. Once completed the collector then uses his special mobile phone to photograph the customers property so they can see how affluent they are and that is also transmitted back to the 'customers account' so there is a photographic record as well as signature recognition. On the Laptop he had he showed me what they had back in the office. It was an identical colour copy of what I had just myself written on the form in my own handwriting. I asked him if the signature could be lifted and put onto a blue peter agreement..."yes, I suppose it could be"

This was very worrying, what protection does the customer have for being told about this photographic information being beamed about unwittingly? he didn't know... It just goes to show what lengths this industry is going to to entrap consumers and assess their ability to pay. An eye opener I can tell you and these people are all over the UK. freelancers just knocking on doors.

I would advise ANYONE who is asked to sign or write out ANYTHING to REFUSE especially using someones pen that feels fat or onto a document like this

Customers are not told about this Camera, but it is used to recognise a signature or handwriting and compared to documents the original creditor may have like an APPLICATION FORM... the trouble is that this signature is not secure and could be used to falsify documents which is happening far too frequently with DCA's trying to forge agreement documents when they don't have them any longer. TRUST NO-ONE...I cannot emphasise this enough SIGN NOTHING TO A DCA...a Letter does not need a signature to be legal.

Sarah

Yet another Cabot Fan Club Investigative success

I am an original Cabot Fan Club member and proud of it.

Re: Don't sign a damned thing - WARNING TO ALL!

Thank for that Andrew1, they are not the only company to visit homes with Cameras, there is evidence that another DCA uses similar tactics and indeed send a picture of your house to you in the post.

Just makes me wonder how low these snakes will indeed go.

When I had a DCA representative visit my home recently he was very keen to leave my property when I pointed out that I have in fact got a working CCTV on the outside of my home. Perhaps that is the way forward, dummy CCTV cameras and signs.

Comment

It was the crafty sneaky pen that annoyed me, I knew dca's and door collectors took pictures of houses, but this was easy enough for them to get, but a PEN? with a Camera - and not telling customers what they were actually doing - I've seen too many cut and pasted signatures put onto agreement documents and being passed as legit copies of originals... this actually sickened me when I saw this pen trick..
      Seek your own legal advice, I am not trained in legal matters, just give my opinion from my own personal experience.

Comment

Yep one dirty trick I agree with you.

Comment

dirteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee tactics

Comment

Well this Company certainly is a weird one

UK address:
            GSL
            Head Office
            Farncombe house
            Broadway
            Worcestershire
            WR12 7LJ

Name & Registered Office:
            UK DEBT AND LEGAL SERVICES LIMITED
            FARNCOMBE HOUSE
            BROADWAY
            WORCESTERSHIRE
            WR12 7LJ
            Company No. 03590060

Date of Incorporation: 30/06/1998

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
            Company Type: Private Limited Company
            Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
            9305 - Other service activities
            Accounting Reference Date: 31/12
            Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/12/2007 (DORMANT)
            Next Accounts Due: 31/10/2009
            Last Return Made Up To: 30/06/2007
            Next Return Due: 28/07/2008
            Last Members List: 30/06/2007
            Previous Names: Date of change Previous Name 28/02/2007 ACCUDEBT LIMITED

This was the only company that matched your search criteria - to search again please

Registered No.03590060

Address:FARNCOMBE HOUSE, BROADWAY, WORCESTERSHIRE, WR12 7LJTel:
            Type:Private Limited with share capitalIncorporation Date:30-06-1998
            companyLast Accounts Filed up to:31-12-2007
            Last Accounts Analysed:
            -Nature of business SIC:93050 - Other service activities not elsewhere classified

Comment

You'll also be pleased to know, delighted in fact that they have just won an Award for the best technology of the year in debt Collection practices at the Credit Today Awards recently. Where do they get their Judges from? :tinysmile_cry_t:

Companies House Dormant status relates to their last trading year, they are trading, but I'm not sure of their trading status as of now. Strange depends on a number of things. I recently had a go at Triton debt recovery Ltd who also traded and was registered as 'Dormant'. It turned out that as part of RBS, the old NatWest DCA actually had no staff on their payroll, NatWest paid for everything, no suppliers, no sales no nothing as NW picked up the tab for everything and accounted for it all themselves so as far as Companies House were concerned they didn't need to show as a trading company. I find that a quirk of the system, but that's what Compaines Hse came back with after some badgering from me. Maybe there's something like that going on here..matters not really, still a crass way of going about your business...
              Seek your own legal advice, I am not trained in legal matters, just give my opinion from my own personal experience.

Comment

This is Companies House Guidelines on Dormant companies

About Us - Guidance

Comment

This is the latest 2006 guidance http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/about/guidance.shtml

Andrew do you think the same could be for Melbourne who are a dormant company (like Triton with RBS picking up the tab) if Prestige were picking up the tab for all expenses for Melbourne????

Can a dormant company receive payments on behalf of their other company?

Is this some sort of tax avoidance?
                  Last edited by TUTTSI; 13th April 2011, 14:05:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X