• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bluebell's Debt Thread & Hardship Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bluebell's Debt Thread & Hardship Claim

Right this is off your councils website

When People get into arrears, we will...

• Encourage customers to contact the Council immediately it becomes evident that there could be problems in paying their bills.
    • Consider payment arrangements that reflect the ability to pay as well as the level of debt owed.
    • Consider whether the customer needs to complete an income and expenditure form, setting out their reasonable residual income.The Council may request documentary evidence to support the customer's statement.
    • On occasions, depending on the point of contact from customer, secure the debt prior to engaging with any arrangement to repay the debt.
    • Acknowledge and respect a person's obligations to their children and the need to maintain a reasonable standard of living.
    • Work with recognised advice agencies whenever possible.
    • Maximise benefit take-up when appropriate and advise customers accordingly, working with the Council's benefits team.

Making an arrangement to pay
    When a customer is genuinely struggling to meet their commitment, the Council will consider making an arrangement so as to enable the debt to be re-paid in full, within agreed time limits.As part of this process the Council may request the customer to complete an income and expenditure form to establish their financial position.
    The council will consider this information and in addition, will consider:
    • The Department for Works and Pensions recommended amounts.
    • Statutory deduction sums in relation to attachment of earnings.
    • What would be a reasonable sum, taking account of residual income.

You have done everything right...so will work these points into a letter to council and your mp.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Right have sent a letter to my local councillor. .....

Comment

good stuff hun :kiss:
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

oh god! I sent it too quickly! perhaps I could send a second letter including the details from the website. Idiot! I'm really embarrassed to post the letter I sent - but I will. The shame!

Dear Councillor ,

I have been advised to write to you regarding a problem I have with Council Tax arrears and the rejection of my proposal for payment from the Council Tax office. I do not believe that my case has been considered sufficiently and would appreciate some help in the matter.

Due to a period of unemployment and lack of self-employed work my partner and I fell behind with our Council Tax payments. I made several over-optimistic arrangements by telephone to pay believing our situation would take a turn for the better, however almost always was unable to meet the payments as our earnings just weren’t sufficient to cover anything other than very basic living expenses. We could not even afford to heat our house during the winter.

I am pregnant and expecting our baby in 10 days so I am not working at the moment and cannot at this time realistically predict when I will be able to go back to work. My partner now has a permanent job so our income is much more stable. I wrote to the Council Tax office enclosing a statement of Income and Expenditure (attached to email “Council Tax Arrears: ref ####”) explaining our situation and asking to pay the arrears on our account at a low but affordable temporary rate of £10 per month for 6 months. After which time we would review our situation. At the same time we were also issued with a summons.

I received a reply from Mrs S Waterman at the Council Tax offices refusing to accept any payment other than the last arrangement made by telephone (approximately £150 per month) on the grounds that I had made arrangements before and not kept to them. I was also told that if I do not pay the arrears the debt will be passed to a debt collection agency and we will incur further costs. This letter really worried me as it feels quite punitive and doesn’t take our current situation into consideration at all.

I telephoned the National Debt Line who advised me to write back to ask for our case to be reconsidered as Councils are normally sympathetic to cases of financial hardship.

I wrote back to the Council Tax offices further explaining our situation, but received a one line email refusal which was followed the next day by a “Payment Arrangement” by post. The first line of which says “this letter confirms that an arrangement has been agreed with this authority to clear your outstanding Council Tax”. I find this really confusing as I have informed the Council Tax office that we are in severe financial hardship and can only pay £10 per month yet I received a letter stating that I agree to pay £157.81 then £125 per month until November.

I am really trying to find a way to get through this without things spiralling further into a nightmare and have no idea what to do next.

Please find attached the letters exchanged between the Council Tax office and myself.

We would really appreciate it if you could help and look into the matter for us.

:tape2:

Comment

Yep, think that is a good letter. Don't worry. But I'd also consider phoning up the councilor and talking to him/her, too

Comment

Ok yes that sounds like a good idea - thanks Tomterm - I did give him a ring earlier but got not answer - will try later.

Comment

Well done Bluebell, you have said it just how it is, am also glad you sent copies of all your letters too. Not a lot can be done as to what went on over the phone and we are all learning that all these things must be put on paper.
                Like Tom says you can phone your councilor or even visit his surgery if you can.
                Also send an Email through your local council website, like i said before they have to reply within a certain time scale so he will be aware of your situation at least. Enaid xxx

Comment

Thanks Enaid, I had no idea councillors have a surgery! As I don't live in the area any more I think I'll make a couple of follow up phone calls. (and go to the surgery if things are a bit slow)

Comment

a bit of an update:

I spoke to my local councillor today - and he was SOOOOO helpful! My email had gone missing so I explained the situation and from what I told him he believes he can sort things out and speak to the relevant people!!! I've resent the email to another address so fingers crossed. he's going to get back to me later.

Comment

Oh let us know if he gets back to you, glad you got through, they can't all be bad can they? :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

I think councillors are generally very helpful. After all, they are not elected for the money, they generally care a lot about the local people. And they have the power to make council officials see sence.

whatever else happens, don't forget to write a letter thanking him/her

Comment

yes! I'll make sure I do. He contacted the CT office straight away and was genuinely helpful. A breath of fresh air!

Comment

Thats wonderful hunny xx I hope he has an effect on them.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hi everyone, I haven't been on line for over a week now - I had my broadband conection suspended due to non payment :roll: It was awful - didn't realise how addicted I am but anyway I'm back now. Wouldn't recommend cold turkey to anyone by the way.

The story with the CT is now sorted. I received a hugely long letter from the Council Tax Team Manager who said that they couldn't possibly accept £10/m as it would take 9 years to pay back the debt. She also said I had broken 15 agreements. (that was a shock I ddn't realise it was that many). So I wrote back saying the £10 was for only 6 months to give me time to have the baby and that I had intended to pay the whole lot back within 2 years. I received a reply today agreeing!!!!!!!! woooo hoooo!!!!! She didn't reliase that the £10 was temporary (although the letter did state it clearly - I guess they must be really busy and she missed it) It means that we have to pay back just over £50month after six months. I'm sure we'll be able to manage that by then - if not there's not much point in torturing ourselves and we'll look into b*$*##€tcy (but won't think about that just now).

I am so relieved. Have written thanking everyone concerned - my councillor definitely helped so I am really grateful to him. It gives me renewed hope and trust that the world does have lovely people in places of influence.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and help.

Comment

Thats brilliant news hunny xxx WELL DONE and welcome back was worried about you :hug:
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X