• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dealing with DCA's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dealing with DCA's

I Agree with BB about dca staff threatning in their calls one once was so much so i told him to send the boys round he said he would strangeley they never came and debt was passed to anothe dca

Comment

If you get anyone abusive on the telephone, this is how you deal with them.

"I am informing you that it is an offense under the telecommunications act to use offensive, threatening, violent or explict langauge on a telephone, be it voice or text, I am now, under the aforementioned Act, terminating this call and reporting its content to Ofcom. Should you wish to communicate with me further it WILL be done in writing as further telephone communications will be terminated without warning"

Yes its long winded but its how we were trained to deal with abusive customers at 02, and we did report a few to BB's mates in the South Yorkshire Police and gained 3 convicitons!

Comment

Hi Curly Ben

Thanks so much for your help on this!

I have just received some Hello letters just asking to confirm who I am and such. They are mentioning the creditor and they want to verify my whereabouts. How do I deal with this?

Lisa xXx

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
          So what is covered by Consumer Credit Act (CCA) 1974 ?

In a nut shell the following:
          Fixed sum Credit (S77), Loans (Bank, etc)
          Variable Sum Credit (S78) Cards, catalogues
          Higher Purchase (S79) HP agreements
          Which section - if any - covers lower purchase agreements? :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

I had a loan with Lloyds bank back in 1996. i was unfortunately made redundant and as i was living in company flat i had to move out and move back with my parents. I hand delivered a letter to my bank explaining my situation as i wanted to claim off the PPI as i was not in a position to pay and supplied the bank with my parents address. I had no further correspondence with the bank and was expecting them to contact me and heard nothing until now!

I was recently contacted by Tower Investigations who were looking to get information from me. I ignored the letter and this was followed up by a letter from Global Debt Recovery stating" Our client has instructed us in respect of the above account and we would appreciate your assistance by calling our information section on 0208 336 7002"

I called the number and the rep asked if i lived at a certain address in London. I did live at this address but did not admit to it. He then explained that if that was not me he would have to contact the police as some one has fraudulently got a loan out in my name and this would have to investigated.

I then asked him what date was the debt, he said 1996 i then said that the debt was statute barred as it was over 6 years old, he then said that it didn't come under the ruling as i had hidden from my creditors! This certainly is not the case as contacted the bank and heard no more from them

Where do i stand?

Regards

Comment

Sorry to say, but this is one of the main reasons you NEVER call a DCA.
              They are well known for "stretching" the truth and what they can do.

Either way they are well and truly out of luck, so feel free to ignore any further correspondence from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa658 View Post
                Hi Curly Ben

Thanks so much for your help on this!

I have just received some Hello letters just asking to confirm who I am and such. They are mentioning the creditor and they want to verify my whereabouts. How do I deal with this?

Lisa xXx

Hello, I would like advice on a similar subject - I received a first letter from Wescot (unsure of what the debt in question even is) titled "important: address verification".

It states they are attempting to contact (my name) and asks to call or write if I am indeed the person in question.

It also mentions "If we do not hear from you by 21/11/2012 we will assume the contact information we hold for **name** is correct."

Can they do that? Assuming I didn't live at this address, nobody else should be opening a letter addressed to someone else's name in the first place, so how can they "assume" simply if they don't hear back? Should I just wait for the next communication or send a Prove It letter straight away?

Thank you.

Comment

Fantastic post Curlyben.. I read all of that. I will defo need to be using this stuff :-).. I'm so glad I stumbled across this legalbeagle site!

Comment

Hello Curlyben

Thank you for the letters, FULL CCA of which I have used with two DCA's.
                    I posted them on 22 Jan recorded.
                    I have received a reply from one of them (UMS/BCW Group) and they are treating my letter as a complaint, ceased all actions whilst they investigate my complaint.

This letter was not intended as a complaint or a query, I'm sure I was asking just for documents?

Would I need to reply explaining the above or is this done on purpose as they have totally ignored the contents of the letter.

I'm sorry if Ive posted in the wrong section

Thanks in advance for any advice

Splendid

Thank you again for the letters, my 10-a-day phone calling has stopped completely

Comment

Originally posted by splendid View Post
                      Hello Curlyben

Thank you for the letters, FULL CCA of which I have used with two DCA's.
                      I posted them on 22 Jan recorded.
                      I have received a reply from one of them (UMS/BCW Group) and they are treating my letter as a complaint, ceased all actions whilst they investigate my complaint.

This letter was not intended as a complaint or a query, I'm sure I was asking just for documents?

Would I need to reply explaining the above or is this done on purpose as they have totally ignored the contents of the letter.

I'm sorry if Ive posted in the wrong section

Thanks in advance for any advice

Splendid

Thank you again for the letters, my 10-a-day phone calling has stopped completely
                      DCAs normally use template letters which often don't correspond to the specific situation or issues raised. It's customary to treat any challenge to them as a 'complaint' and claim to be 'investigating'. DCAs don't get any account details, to get any documents they will have to go back to the OC, which is what they mean by 'investigating your complaint'. Just wait and see what they say next, if they chase you for payment before they send the requested documents, then you can just refer them to your oustanding request, that should keep them quiet and, in many cases, they will return the account to the OC and get off your back. That's certainly been the case with me!

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                        DCAs normally use template letters which often don't correspond to the specific situation or issues raised. It's customary to treat any challenge to them as a 'complaint' and claim to be 'investigating'. DCAs don't get any account details, to get any documents they will have to go back to the OC, which is what they mean by 'investigating your complaint'. Just wait and see what they say next, if they chase you for payment before they send the requested documents, then you can just refer them to your oustanding request, that should keep them quiet and, in many cases, they will return the account to the OC and get off your back. That's certainly been the case with me!
                        Quite often, a suitably worded challenge will see them off immediately. They are not geared up for a fight, and as the saying goes, 'If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.'

Sadly I love monkeys, I HATE DCA's!

Comment

Lol

Thank you both for taking the time to reply

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                            The entire process kind of horrible for me.But reading this entire conversation I have very well aware about the DCA process and all legalities for that.thanks!!!!:santa_wink:
                            Last edited by MaryBurns; 4th April 2013, 08:06:AM.

Comment

Hi curly Ben,
                              I made offers to my creditors all now with dca,s some have sent me letters rejecting as I offered just a little over10% they are asking me to call them to discuss payment the other want a income & expenditure. I have noticed your advice not to call them my debt management company contact them and have token payments in plAce. These debts over over 7 years old mainly credit cards and personal loans. I want to start paying them off offering them full and final settlements. So I am wondering do I send the ones that replied cca requests now to get on their nerves and start to make effort to accept my offers? I have no assets or money to make full payments so can I reply saying re consider my offer or I am looking to go bankrupt? Also I signed my full and final offer letters will this cause complication?

Comment

Are mortgage shortfalls covered by a cca?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X