• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bankruptcy and claiming charges: Revisited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bankruptcy and claiming charges: Revisited

There was discussion a few months ago with regards to this and I happened to contact the Official Receiver. They stated that charges could not be claimed back when made bankrupt. As there are a wealth of new posters who have lots of knowledge on this area, i would like your opinions. I have to admit that I still do not know the answer. Its either a straight NO. A MAYBE or YES under certain circumstances, ie discharged bankrupt incurring charges after date of discharge.

Please enlighten me.

Re: Bankruptcy and claiming charges: Revisited

Charges can be claimed back, but you would need to buy the right of action from your OR / trustee, since like any other choose in action it vests in the bankruptcy estate. ORs would not, themselves, engage in such an action.

EDIT: have a look http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/freedom...rt4/part_4.htm
    Last edited by tomterm8; 10th February 2008, 17:27:PM.

Comment

Can you explain, "buy the right of action". Are we talking a literal buy, ie money changes hands?

Comment

Not necessarily, there are many terms under which a right of action can be bought. in very many cases, a right of action might be bought for a fixed sum, or for some percentage consideration of any court award... (i.e. an assignment might, as consideration, be for 25% of the realised value, but you guarantee to pay the costs of the legal action).

it is, ultimatly, a matter for negotiation between the OR and the prospective purchaser.

The OR is NOT obliged to sell any right of action, however.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X