• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell/Red

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lowell/Red

I know it has been a while. I thought it was the docs when the wife said I had mail from them.

I thought I was ok while they are unable to answer my request. I wanted to keep the people who helped me informed as they asked

Comment

Ok they have finally got back to me with the information asking for payment within 14 days.

The last payment was taken 17 Aug 07 it seams. This would mean it is over the 6 years period. Should I send a letter making them aware of this ?

Thanks again

Comment

Sounds like it could be stat barred yes. Also, they still haven't come up with your CCA have they ?

Is the Lowell letter a letter before action do you think?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Sorry yeah the CCA is present. That and my statements which is why i was thinking about getting it stat barred due to the time since the last payment.

Comment

Okay, is the CCA complaint?
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

It looks ok... has my signature on it

Comment

Originally posted by First_timer View Post
                Sorry yeah the CCA is present. That and my statements which is why i was thinking about getting it stat barred due to the time since the last payment.
                You don't have to do anything to get it statute barred, if the last payment or written acknowledgment was over 6 years ago, it would automatically be SBd. :thumb:
                Ok they have finally got back to me with the information asking for payment within 14 days.
                The last payment was taken 17 Aug 07 it seams. This would mean it is over the 6 years period.
                :whoo: :high5:

Should I send a letter making them aware of this ?
                I would... :grin:

Dear Sirs

Statute barred account xxxxx

You have contacted me with regards to the above account. The last payment to this debt was made over 6 years ago and no more acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time.

Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written acknowledgment from me within this period, under Section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980, you’ll no longer be able to take court action to recover the debt. Any court claim will be defended on this basis.

Section 7.15.8 of FCA Consumer Credit Sourcebook states: "A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred."

If you have evidence that this debt isn’t statute barred then please send it to me within 21 days. Otherwise, please confirm that you won’t pursue me for this debt.
                Yours faithfully

Comment

Thank you

I will get the letter sent off this weekend and hopefully it will put a end to this.

Comment

Hello again,

I received a letter today saying

"We understand that you believe the account to be statue barred as per section 5 of the limitations act 1980.

We can advise you that this account does not qualify for the Statue Barred status as the account did not default until 30th November 2011. This is within six years and therefore the account is not statute barred"

I know i had no contact with them at all. The only thing i can think of that they mean is when the girl phoned me from them and said the company didn't default the account until that date. Surely if HFC takes 4 years to default that doesn't count. I mean in theory a company could never default and keep the account enforceable indefinitely.

Does anyone advice any advice please.

Comment

It is of no consequence when HSBC decided to default the account (although you might want to argue they delayed unduly if it I reported on your credit file as 2011 when you stopped payments in 2007), the cause of action is the date when they could have recalled the debt under the agreement terms, usually two or three months after last payment.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Do you think a standard letter back to them explaining this will be enough to make them stop ?

Comment

Do you want to waste a stamp?

Comment

TBH i just want them to stop, i moved address a couple of months back and I'm having my mail redirected solely for this purpose as i don't want to give them my new address.

Comment

We have 32 letters here from red and their friends they stop when they want to .

others will advise but iys time to act if they threaten the court by issuing a CCJ claim which you can defend

Comment

Was thinking something like this;

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Account No/Your Ref:

No debt is acknowledged to your company yet you have contacted me regarding the above account.

As I am sure you are aware, under the Limitation Act 1980, s.5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

It is irrelevant for the purposes of the act when the original creditor decided to put the account into default. The ''cause of action'' is the date that a creditor may take action to remedy any breach of contract. In the case of a Credit Card account this is usually within two to three months from the date of last payment. As far as I am aware the final payment on this account was made in August 2007 and I consider the ''cause of action'' accrued in/around October 2007. I have had no communication at all regarding any alleged debt until your company contacted me in April 2014 when I informed you of the time-barred status of the account.

No correspondence/payment/acknowledgement of this debt has been made within the last six years and accordingly unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under s.5 of the Limitation Act 1980, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover any alleged amount claimed.

Furthermore, the FCA Consumer Credit Sourcebook (section 7.15) states that "Notwithstanding that a debt may be recoverable, a firm must not attempt to recover a statute barred debt in England, Wales or Northern Ireland if the lender or owner has not been in contact with the customer during the limitation period." and that ''A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred.''

I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I look forward to your early reply.

Yours faithfully

(Your signature)
                                (Your Name)
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X