• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taken to Court by CapQuest - HBOS Credit card debts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taken to Court by CapQuest - HBOS Credit card debts

Thanks for the response, I wondered if they were going this route.

I actually got a response together yesterday to CapQuest and sent it to them by Recorded delivery, so they should have it today. I sent copies of the letters previously sent to HL Legal along with a copy of my previous letter to CapQ from August outlining the failed CCA request from 2010.

I also pointed out that their letter failed to accurately represent our phone call and noted that they record for training and monitoring. I have asked for a transcript of this call. I also advised them that I have outlined to the court the reasons for an extension and that the court had acknowledged my contact.

With Retrospect the CPR request should probably have been sent to both HL Legal and CapQuest would you think?

I am not in a position to much about this today. My defence would be around either no CCA supplied or the fact that the supplied docs do not conform etc etc.

They simply don't have the paperwork yet seem to be able to go ahead with a legal process whilst lying to the defendant and taking up time along the way. What a bunch of scumbags.

Still having trouble with the up-loader here on the site, have tried to put the letter letters up again today and the response is that your site is not working correctly. Do you know if this is the case or is it something at my end.

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad938 View Post
      With Retrospect the CPR request should probably have been sent to both HL Legal and CapQuest would you think?
      Definitely. Normally they are sent to both the solicitors and the DCA because they often don't communicate with each other.

I am not in a position to much about this today. My defence would be around either no CCA supplied or the fact that the supplied docs do not conform etc etc.

They simply don't have the paperwork yet seem to be able to go ahead with a legal process whilst lying to the defendant and taking up time along the way. What a bunch of scumbags.
      They are issuing claims like confetti! :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: Sounds like they're trying to earn their Xmas bonu$.

Still having trouble with the up-loader here on the site, have tried to put the letter letters up again today and the response is that your site is not working correctly. Do you know if this is the case or is it something at my end.
      There have been a few problems with the site: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...575#post383575

You could try uploading to a free image hosting service and just linking from there. This is one of them: http://postimage.org :nerd:

Comment

The Aftermath.

To avoid one of those threads that doesn't seem to reach a conclusion leaving you wondering what happened... here goes.

CapQuest have failed to provide the agreements as requested. I decided to write to the court explaining that I was unable to file a defence against the claim due to lack of paperwork. I went into a lot of detail with this letter and explained how I had previously sought these documents over a period of time from others as well but they had never been forthcoming. I sent copies of all this correspondence to the court to back up my explanation. I did this for both claims, the letters were similar but I made sure the details and copies were correct.

I received acknowledgement from the court for both letters thanking me for filing a defence! I had made clear on both counts that it wasn't a defence and that I could not file a defence. Anyway I left it as is. The letter from the court advised that if no further submissions were received from CapQuest then the case would be 'Stayed' after 28 days.

Here we are in February 2014 and no further communication has been received from the Court or from CapQuest. They clearly do not have the documents they need.

So.... The advice I have received through this site has on the whole been very good. I made a couple of errors and one piece of advice received here was not quite right. In my case I received two claims (Two defaulted accounts) I made the mistake of sending a response to both cases back to the solicitor involved in the same envelope. This went recorded delivery so I know it was received, however they claimed to have only received one letter. They were either inept in their mail handling or simply dishonest, I am uncertain of which.

Also the response sent to the solicitor should have gone to CapQuest as well, not as I was advised here. The reason being is that the letter gets forwarded onto CapQuest from the solicitor and this is eating into the response time that you have to deal with it.

I never spoke to the solicitor involved. I spoke to CapQuest on the phone, I found the chap I spoke to polite and courteous and was assured a particular course of action would be followed. The follow up letter from CapQuest did not reflect the phone call. I wrote back to CapQuest and advised them of this and the actual content of the phone call and conclusion. If you can record any calls made this will help you but make notes of names and times of calls. Oddly the individual I spoke to wouldn't give his surname but by keeping track of dates and times you should in theory be able to obtain this information if push came to shove. I would imagine that CapQuest have a call recording system in place.

I am uncertain what will happen now, I hope nothing. There has been no further communication from the Court or CapQuest, I have looked at my credit file and there are no changes there.

Remember, Clear detailed letters: Keep copies: Send recorded delivery: Send cases separately: Keep notes of conversations: Read through all letters downloaded from this site and make sure they make sense and are correctly abbreviated: Keep a file of all correspondence relating to the claim from the year dot if you can: Don't panic.....

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated and it helps us all!

Hope you have managed to sort out your other debts without resorting to BR as you were considering last year, if you need any more help, just shout! :director:

Comment

Hello Flaming Parrot.

Thanks...

The above accounts were only part of the problem but were driving the time frame in which I had to make decisions. Once they could take no further action it then gave more time for other matters to work through.

There have been small but positive changes elsewhere as well, so whilst problems not fully solved I am at least moving forward (just about) again.

Am I right in thinking that after 6 years the defaults are no longer displayed on the credit file? I have 9 cards defaulted from around Dec 2009 through to April 2010 as the financial problems really hit and my business took a dive.

Further to this has been an on-going dispute with NatWest over business debts. They have admitted errors and mishandling of my accounts. This went to FOS who investigated and themselves messed up, admitted, and reinvestigated and agreed with my points of view second time round. Oddly no apologies from them, nor would they agree to my request for £35.00per hour charges for my time dealing with it. 'Not in line with the awards given by this organisation' apparently. They recognised my claim and in excess of 80 hours of work bringing it to them but thought it worth no more than £10.00 per hour! FOS are an overpaid bunch of wasters, and don't get me started on NatWest...

I am just hoping now that I can start getting some business in and earning some cash to support the family, luckily my partner has kept working and we stayed on top of the mortgage and my CCJ.

Regarding CCJ's. I have paid something every month to meet the minimum requirements is it worth my while to try and boost this monthly payment to clear it any quicker? It probably has about £450 left to clear and I cannot do it instantly but if work picks up I may be able to knock it down over the course of this year.

The CCJ seems to cause the most problems (at the moment) when I am seeking insurance, even though I am paying in full, not taking a credit option. Insurers want full disclosure (I don't disagree with this) and then ask for details about the CCJ. Apparently they feel that 'someone with a poor credit history is more likely to commit fraud to recover there financial losses' I was told last year by one company. That I do not agree with, being in debt does not make someone dishonest or a fraudster. Others have offered me cover without issue after disclosing the facts.

Advice and opinion welcome. Thanks again.

Comment

It sounds like things are on the up for you and you're getting everything sorted out Good news !

Defaults should drop of your credit file after 6 years indeed- so you have a year or so until those will be gone.

Getting £10 an hour out of FOS is quite good - not many manage to get their time compensated half as well

On the CCJ's - If you speak to the Claimant who you are paying before increasing payments it might be wise, but otherwise yes good idea to get them settled....they will still stay on your file till the 6 years is up though, so up to you, if interest is being added then of course paying it off quicker will be beneficial.

I'm not sure on the rules on Insurance tho sorry.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Good morning.

Thanks for the confirmation on the defaults.

The CCJ is not having interest added. But the claimant stuck quite a big fee on the action at the beginning, bless them... What was a £700.00 debt ended up in access of £950.00. The court accepted my plea, I had no reason to dispute claim and they awarded £1.00 per month in accordance with my offer. I have worked this down over the past 3 years or so and have tried to pay at least £5.00 per month sometimes more. I maybe able to step this up again and wondered if it alone would improve my situation bearing in mind that there are still 9 other defaults showing.

I guess the insurance industry is another law unto itself. Yet another organisation that has managed to shift the liability from itself to ensure it has all the facts onto the individual to disclose every last piece of information. It then suggests that an individuals hard luck may make them a criminal... Nice!

Dealing with FOS was a disaster. Because I am a sole trader and the problems were business related they tried to fast track my complaint which I thought was good. I sent lots of details to them, notified NatWest etc. The FOS agent rang me and we chatted, I filled in more details but I got the sense there was no real understanding of the issue or that they had really looked at the paperwork they I sent. When the judgement came through, whilst partly in my favour it was essentially worthless in the context of the overall problem. And within a few days they were on the phone trying to almost cajole into accepting the deal just to get me of their backs. I am a little stubborn when I being shoved around and I rejected their conclusions and sent it back to them for a review.

This dragged on, for some while in fact and even though NatWest new the process was going on decided to farm the debt out to a couple of debt collection agencies. Both of these agencies dropped it like a hot potato when they became aware the issue was at FOS. Anyway FOS accepted that the first result was flawed and carried out another review. This seemed to back all my complaints and agreed that my time spent had amounted to 70+ hours. I felt that £35.00 per hour was very reasonable. Bearing in mind my time and effort involved my work hours, other costs as a result of NatWest handling, lost business, distress etc. I pointed out that NatWest felt £35.00 was a reasonable fee for missed direct debits from my account. Apparently not the case in FOS-land

Once again I felt pressure from FOS to settle. The letter arrives giving me 28 days to make a decision and almost within a week I get a call, then a few days latter an email, then another letter. They simply were not interested in anything other than getting my complaint of the books. When I pointed out a number of NatWest actions that I felt were not in line with FSA guidelines, still not interested. 'That's not our remit'. So it's all right for NatWest to trample over everybody and ignore regulations and laws.

I am not surprised the only information that any bank or CC company sends out is to do with FOS. As an organisation I believe they are not fit for purpose. I am pretty certain that if they increased the awards given to folk like me the whole banking sector will work much harder to get it right in the first place.

I have digressed slightly, sorry if I have bored anyone!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X