• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Marlin purchasing debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin purchasing debt

Hope someone can help. I had an Egg card in 1999 and the account according to Marlin was terminated in 2007 - I don't know what that actually means I got into a real mess in 2007/2008 but did clear a load of cards including a different egg account. I haven't heard from anyone about this since then 2007 until Marlin got in touch telling that the account was assigned to Barclaycard in 2011? and that they are now chasing the debt!! that's like over 5 years ago!! Can they do this? I have written to them saying that I don't acknowledge any debt to Marlin and have asked them to provide a copy of any agreements which they haven't done yet -but they are still suggesting that I get in touch with them to make payments? Grrrrr any help greatly appreciated!!
    Tags: None

Re: Marlin purchasing debt

After 6 years without aknowledgement of the debt by you making a payment or acknowledging the debt in writing, it becomes Statute Barred (5 years in Scotland). If the account was definitely terminated in 2007, it will become SB at some stage this year, assuming you are not in Scotland.

I would suggest you totally ignore them at this stage, as one incorrectly worded letter could start the entire 6 years over again. If they get in touch again, post up before doing anything.

Do you have paperwork from 2007? If so, you would have received a Default Notice giving you 14 days to pay back the arrears on the account, and stating if you failed to do this, it would be terminated. You should then have received a notice saying the account had been formally terminated.

Treat Marlin with caution. They can play dirty. :beagle:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X