• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Nemo Finance - Urgent help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nemo Finance - Urgent help needed

I am new to this site and am hoping someone may be able to help.

In 2005 approx myself and my partner took out a secured loan with Nemo. In 2006 things happened and as a consequence we lost our home in 2007. GE Money were the mortgage lenders and they sold my house under market value for just enough to cover their own amount. this meant that there was nothing left for Nemo who were the second charge.

At that time and for some time after I was unable to deal with anything and moved from one rented place to another. Nemo did eventually make contact a couple of years after by which time they informed me that they had taken me to court (something I knew absolutely nothing about). I told them that I disputed what I owed them and I was going to try and get the CCJ overturned as I hadnt been told. Then basically I did nothing, I was going through depression and was not strong enough mentally to deal with any legal proceedings so I just left it and heard nothing more from them until now!

I have moved around quite a lot but have been at my current address a couple of years.

They have tracked me down and are saying that they have been trying to contact me and I must contact them by a certain date to discuss how I am going to pay back this debt, which has now escalated out of control. If I dont contact them they will send one of their agents out and charge me for the priviledge.

I dont know what to do now.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Many thanks
    MMK
    Tags: None

Re: Nemo Finance - Urgent help needed

Hi mmk, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

Did you try to get the CCJ set aside at a later date?

It sounds like there is a DCA (Debt Collection Agency) phishing for info.
    Best not to encourage them by replying, at least 'till you are ready, if at all!

Have you considered reclaiming PPI?

Have you kept the original documentation?
    ( If not, you can SAR the original creditor)
    Last edited by charitynjw; 10th July 2013, 02:50:AM.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Re: Nemo Finance - Urgent help needed

Originally posted by mmk View Post
      At that time and for some time after I was unable to deal with anything and moved from one rented place to another. Nemo did eventually make contact a couple of years after by which time they informed me that they had taken me to court (something I knew absolutely nothing about). I told them that I disputed what I owed them and I was going to try and get the CCJ overturned as I hadnt been told. Then basically I did nothing, I was going through depression and was not strong enough mentally to deal with any legal proceedings so I just left it and heard nothing more from them until now!
      You can apply for set aside on the grounds that you didn't receive the court papers. You need an N244 and a fee is payable, however, you will need to show the court that:
      • you had informed the creditor of your new address, and
      • you would have a good prospect of defending the claim if it was set aside, otherwise they could re-issue and you'd be back to square one

See this for reference: http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/en...e_county_court
      I have moved around quite a lot but have been at my current address a couple of years.
      As above, did the creditor have your address at the time they got the default judgment?

They have tracked me down and are saying that they have been trying to contact me and I must contact them by a certain date to discuss how I am going to pay back this debt, which has now escalated out of control. If I dont contact them they will send one of their agents out and charge me for the priviledge.
      Are you sure they actually have a CCJ? :confused2: You can find out by searching the public record: http://www.trustonline.org.uk/search-yourself

Because if they did, they would be seeking enforcement through the courts, rather than sending someone round to discuss things with you. :noidea: If there is no CCJ and they are saying there is, they would be in breach of OFT Guidance. I'd say your first step should be to make sure there is a CCJ. :thumb:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X