• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

over paid housing benefits gone to collectica

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over paid housing benefits gone to collectica

Hello everyone

This is my first post,i need some help with council and collectica.

I owe the council £1200 for over paid housing benefits which i was paying back to the council directly at £30 a month,i forgot to pay last 3 installments.i have now recieved a letter from collectica informing me they have taken in the debt.
    I recieved no correspondace from the council of their action to do this,no further action notice or court summons.
    I would like to continue to pay the council and pay the arrearsfor 3 months.Where do i stand on this and what should i do.

Please help me

thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: over paid housing benefits gone to collectica

Hi spoonface, & welcome.

I'm not a CT/enforcement expert - but many on here are!
    I'm sure someone will be along soon to comment.
    I'll keep an eye on this thread & guide someone to you if necessary.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I'm certainly no expert but whilst you wait for the others on here I would suggest ringing the council and telling them what you have told us,you have had no correspondance to say it was going to Collectica,ask if they will take the debt back (but don't hold your breath).

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
        I'm certainly no expert but whilst you wait for the others on here I would suggest ringing the council and telling them what you have told us,you have had no correspondance to say it was going to Collectica,ask if they will take the debt back (but don't hold your breath).
        When the council drone tells you the usual untruth that enforcement action cannot be halted, it may be helpful to inform he/she/it that Article 70 (link) of the Local Authorities (Contracting Out of Tax Billing, Collection and Enforcement Functions) Order 1996 plainly states otherwise.

Comment

Are Collectica acting as bailiffs or debt collectors? In either case, the creditor is obliged to tell you of any action they intend to take or are taking. Contact the council and ask them for an explanation.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thank you for the advice,i have not yet contacted the council or collectica but am going to write the council an email asking for an explination and to accept a proposal of countinued payments direct.
            Is a further action notice a legal obligation or does it not matter?

Thank you all again.

Comment

Collectica have to prove they have a right to collect. If not, they are on a decidedly sticky wicket.

Comment

I will contact collectica then and see what they have to say thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by spoonface View Post
                  I will contact collectica then and see what they have to say thank you.

NO..DO NOT CONTACT COLLECTICA...CONTACT THE COUNCIL..THEY ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE THE ANSWERS AND THEY ARE THE ONES THAT CAN TAKE YOUR DEBT BACK(if they will agree).IF they agree you MUST stick to the payment plan,,they tend not to like 'I forgot for 3 months'

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post

NO..DO NOT CONTACT COLLECTICA...CONTACT THE COUNCIL..THEY ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE THE ANSWERS AND THEY ARE THE ONES THAT CAN TAKE YOUR DEBT BACK(if they will agree).IF they agree you MUST stick to the payment plan,,they tend not to like 'I forgot for 3 months'
                    Absolutely, Inca. The creditor must explain their actions and demonstrate that Collectica has a right to collect, either as bailiffs or debt collectors. Also, the creditor must show that they have exhausted all other methods of collection before engaging Collectica and that these methods have failed. Using the likes of Collectica as a default option could be seen to be a disproportionate response and, as Communities & Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles has stated recently, local authorities must use bailiffs as a last resort option, not a default option. I don't think many council leaders would want Eric Pickles sitting on them, let alone threatening to sit on them, if they don't follow his decree.

Comment

Thank you fir all your advice,the matter has now been resolved at long last the council have reclaimed the debt and all is good,the advice given was so helpfull and i appreciate every post made

Thank you!!!!

Comment

​Yay!! Well done..and Thanks for letting us know (and don't miss your payment dates or it will all kick off again)

Comment

good luck to you ,good to see a council acting properley .people in debt should not be forced into more debt will greedy bailiffs fees if a debt can be recalled and payment plan agreed it should.
                          Councils and others owed money need to start taking a more positive approach to recovering money without resorting to outside agencies whos methods come into question so many times

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X