• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ruthbrdige - CCA Letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruthbrdige - CCA Letter

Hi Everyone,

I hope that you can help me with this!

On the 12th April 2013 I received a letter from Ruthbridge informing me that they have been instructed by Cabot Financial Europe Limited who have passed this debt to them for collection of the outstanding balance. In the same envelope was a letter from Cabot informing me that Ruthbridge would be contacting me in the next 7 days to arrange a payment plan.

On the 24th April 2013 I received another letter from Ruthbridge telling me that they would be willing to write off 50% of the debt if I contacted no later than 2 May 2013.

As far as I am aware (although I'm not 100% certain) I have not had any communications regarding this debt or made any payment to this debt for over 6 years and it isn't shown on any of my credit reports (checked the 3 main CR Agencies) either. Having researched this online I decided that my first point of call should be to send them a CCA letter. Today I received I a response to this letter stating that I need to contact them in order for them to verify some details with me as required by the Data Protection Act 1998 and my postal order of £1 returned to me.

What am I to do now?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Svanjo11
    Tags: None

Re: Ruthbrdige - CCA Letter

Originally posted by svanjo11 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I hope that you can help me with this!

On the 12th April 2013 I received a letter from Ruthbridge informing me that they have been instructed by Cabot Financial Europe Limited who have passed this debt to them for collection of the outstanding balance. In the same envelope was a letter from Cabot informing me that Ruthbridge would be contacting me in the next 7 days to arrange a payment plan.

On the 24th April 2013 I received another letter from Ruthbridge telling me that they would be willing to write off 50% of the debt if I contacted no later than 2 May 2013.

As far as I am aware (although I'm not 100% certain) I have not had any communications regarding this debt or made any payment to this debt for over 6 years and it isn't shown on any of my credit reports (checked the 3 main CR Agencies) either. Having researched this online I decided that my first point of call should be to send them a CCA letter. Today I received I a response to this letter stating that I need to contact them in order for them to verify some details with me as required by the Data Protection Act 1998 and my postal order of £1 returned to me.
    Hi and welcome!

Did they say what details you need to verify? In all honesty, I'd probably just be sending the Statute Barred letter and if they disagree, let them prove otherwise. Statute Barred is a much stronger argument than the enforceability issues you'd be arguing with a CCA request and their response to said request won't give you any indication of whether the debt is SBd anyway because it only relates to the date you opened the account.

The CRA files are not an accurate indication of whether a debt is SBd or not, but if you haven't made any payments after defaulting and it has already dropped off, then it's very likely SBd! :thumb:

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and responce FlamingParrot. I'm so nervous about doing anything, as I had thought that all my olds debts were now sorted but then this came through the post!

The exact words they use in their letter are:

"We write further to the receipt of your recent correspondance requesting information with regard to our reasons for contacting you.

We take note of the points you have raised in your correspondence, however we must advise that we are not in a postion to comply with your request at this stage as we are requried to verify information we have been provided with yourself for the puroses of data protection in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.

We would appreciate it if you would contact our offices so that we can complete the necessary verification and address any further queries you may have with regards to this matter."

Do you still recommend that I send them a statute barred letter or should I be doing something else?

Thanks again!

Svanjo11

Comment

If your sure its statute barred ignore them as the words say and mean its barred and unenforceable

Comment

As far as I am aware (although I'm not 100% certain) I have not had any communications regarding this debt or made any payment to this debt for over 6 years
          The alleged debt is statute barred and they know it's statute barred.

That's why those turds offered you a 50% discount.

Comment

Thanks for the responces guys, its really appreciated.

Should I send them a statute barred letter just to be on the safe side? Really just want this to over with once and for all!

Take care

Svanjo11

Comment

Iys more than lokely that whether you send a latter or not they will carry on with the letters

Comment

Don't forget that because a debt is Statute Barred it does not mean the debt no longer exists, it means the debt can no longer be enforced through a court of law. Thus the owner of the debt is perfectly entitled to ask, or even demand payment of it from you; equally, you are just as entitled to totally ignore them without fear of retribution, tell them where to stick their letters, or, far more sensibly, just get on and enjoy life.

Comment

Thank you everyone. Ignore it then it shall be.

Comment

Of course Ruthless should not have written to you in the first place if they were unsure as to your identity. More DCA rule breaking

Comment

Originally posted by ODC View Post
                      Of course Ruthless should not have written to you in the first place if they were unsure as to your identity. More DCA rule breaking
                      Does that mean they might be in trouble if copies of the correspondence were to be sent to the ICO or Trading Standards?

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                        tell them where to stick their letters
                        Alternatively:

cc: Lowells, Global Arrow, Debt Recovery Plus, Mercers, Triton (et al - they'd not really be sent a copy)

Your reference: whatever

Dear Sirs,

Thank you very much for the letters you have sent me; not only did they make interesting and amusing material, I found that they were admirably suited for a secondary purpose. The paper was thick enough to resist tearing yet sufficiently flexible not to cause chafing; better still, the ink did not come off in use.

However, I recently suffered a severe attack of diarrhoea which resulted in my supply of your letters becoming rather depleted.

Please send me some more letters, as soon as possible.

Yours Faithfully,

Clever Clogs

Comment

Thanks for the responces guys, its really appreciated.

Should I send them a statute barred letter just to be on the safe side? Really just want this to over with once and for all!

Take care

Svanjo11
                          Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                          Iys more than lokely that whether you send a latter or not they will carry on with the letters
                          The OFT Debt Collection guidelines state that, once the debtor has notified the DCA the debt is SBd, they should stop chasing it. DCAs don't know much about the debts they purchase, if you don't tell them they may well carry on sending letters, however, once you tell them it's SBd they should stop.

Comment

Hi

Ok, so I'll send them a statute barred letter and then ignore anything else that comes through (if anything else come through)???

Thanks again everyone!

Svanjo11

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                              The OFT Debt Collection guidelines state that, once the debtor has notified the DCA the debt is SBd, they should stop chasing it. DCAs don't know much about the debts they purchase, if you don't tell them they may well carry on sending letters, however, once you tell them it's SBd they should stop.
                              Yes, they should - but some of the more stupid DCAs may pretend that, by writing to them about it, the debt is no longer SB.

This is, of course, utter nonsense - see section 29 (7) - link - of the Limitation Act 1980.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X