• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell threatening with Debt Managers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell threatening with Debt Managers

Hi all,

So good to find this forum and see so much good advice on how to deal with these a-holes.
    I was contacted by these guys a while back and I did not acknowledge the debt with them, which was from a lloyds account from years ago (which I disputed at the time because it was all built up from unfair charges which i refused to pay) I left it and they kept sending me letters demanding payment eventually sending 'red' letters threatening legal action. After some research I sent them a letter claiming statute barred as I believed the last contact I 'd had with lloyds to be over 6 years ago.
    Then they sent me a letter back saying that they had contacted Lloyds and the last contact between myself and lloyds was 6 years ago, but on june 6th, so pretty close to the line.
    Does this now count as having been contacted by lloyds, or if it gets past that date and I still haven't acknowledged the debt myself can I still claim statute barred?

After that I just left it to see what would happen and I didn't hear anything for a couple of months, then yesterday I got a letter from them saying 'as you have failed to repay your account it will be sent to Debt Managers, who are one of our approved debt collection agencies. They will be instructed to pursue you for this debt and seek to recover the full balance'

I find it strange that they seem to have dropped the legal threat and are now suggesting 'sending the boys round' does this mean that they're trying the threatening approach once more to try and scare me into paying up before that date in june?
    There was a section in the letter I sent about the statute barred claim that said that I refused them permission to pass my details on to anyone else, so can they do this?
    Unfortunately I had only kept a digital copy of the letter I sent and I can't find it now so It must've been deleted by accident!

I look forward to hearing from any who can give me some advice on this matter.
    Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell threatening with Debt Managers

As long as you did not admit the alleged debt you will be fine. The Leeds Losers have passed this on because they know they have no realistic chance of enforcing it. You could keep them going with a game of letter tennis until June or just ignore them until then

Comment

What was the wording of the letter you sent to Lloyds?

Aside from that, they would have to either, get a Judgment against you within 5 weeks. (Impossible time frame) or they may consider issuing a Statutory Demand within 5 weeks. (Risky)

When did you receive the letter back from Lowell? How long have they had the debt?

Do you own your own home?
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by Benson1979 View Post
        Hi all,

So good to find this forum and see so much good advice on how to deal with these a-holes.
        I was contacted by these guys a while back and I did not acknowledge the debt with them, which was from a lloyds account from years ago (which I disputed at the time because it was all built up from unfair charges which i refused to pay) I left it and they kept sending me letters demanding payment eventually sending 'red' letters threatening legal action. After some research I sent them a letter claiming statute barred as I believed the last contact I 'd had with lloyds to be over 6 years ago.
        Then they sent me a letter back saying that they had contacted Lloyds and the last contact between myself and lloyds was 6 years ago, but on june 6th, so pretty close to the line.
        Does this now count as having been contacted by lloyds, or if it gets past that date and I still haven't acknowledged the debt myself can I still claim statute barred?
        Statute Barred is 6 years without payment or written acknowledgment, not without any contact. If a creditor or DCA chases you it doesn't reset the clock, neither does it affect it if you reply without acknowledging the debt (such as making offers of repayment, etc.)

Any idea when you last paid? It could even have been before June. :noidea:

After that I just left it to see what would happen and I didn't hear anything for a couple of months, then yesterday I got a letter from them saying 'as you have failed to repay your account it will be sent to Debt Managers, who are one of our approved debt collection agencies. They will be instructed to pursue you for this debt and seek to recover the full balance'

I find it strange that they seem to have dropped the legal threat and are now suggesting 'sending the boys round' does this mean that they're trying the threatening approach once more to try and scare me into paying up before that date in june?
        There was a section in the letter I sent about the statute barred claim that said that I refused them permission to pass my details on to anyone else, so can they do this?
        Unfortunately I had only kept a digital copy of the letter I sent and I can't find it now so It must've been deleted by accident!

I look forward to hearing from any who can give me some advice on this matter.
        Thank you.
        Yes, they can enlist the services of debt collectors to chase you, however, once it's SBd and you inform them of the fact, they should stop chasing you for good. :thumb:

Comment

One's anus has the useful function of retaining faeces until one wishes to have a poo.

The Leeds Losers, on the other hand, seem to have no useful function whatever.

Does this now count as having been contacted by lloyds,
          One must bear in mind that Lowells are inherently disingenuous.

It matters not one jot when Lloyds last wrote to you - what is important is when you last wrote to Lloyds about it, or when you last made a payment.

See section 5 (link) and section 29 (link) of the Limitation Act 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
            Yes, they can enlist the services of debt collectors to chase you,
            Whilst one can tell the debt collectors to get bent.

Comment

All spot on! 6 years without acknowledgement in writing or payment (5 years in Scotland) and it is Statute Barred.

Comment

Thanks all,

The 6th June date was the last payment I made so I guess I'll hold out until then.
                They have said I have until the 9th May to pay up before they pass my details on to Debt Managers so I suppose I just keep ignoring them until 6th june and then send them a statue barred letter?

Comment

Thanks all,

The 6th June date was the last payment I made so I guess I'll hold out until then.
                  They have said I have until the 9th May to pay up before they pass my details on to Debt Managers so I suppose I just keep ignoring them until 6th june and then send them a statue barred letter?
                  Give it a bit more time, and wait to hear from someone before sending anything. You may not hear from anyone for a while. :thumb:

Comment

When it becomes SB dont bother contacting anyone unless a county court claim turns up whch should be defended ,defence the debt is SB not worth wasting a stamp

Comment

Thanks all,

I would not rush to send anything.

If after the initial casue of action you have made a payment or acknowleged the debt in writing, then it is true that the 6 years runs from the date of that acknowledgement or payment.

However, if you had not paid or acknowledged since the initial cause of action, then the 6 years would run from the date of the COA. And that is NOT always 6 years since the last payment etc. It can be a month, or even many months later, depnding on the type of debt.

In other words, depending on the account and payment history, in some circumstances the 6 years may not expire until somtime later than you might at first think. And if you are not sure, then it might be prudent to hold off with letters until enough time has passed with an extra "safety" margin.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X