• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Those pesky Equita cowboys - Please help me round em up :-)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those pesky Equita cowboys - Please help me round em up :-)

Hi there, I am new to the forum, and new to the bailiff experience. I have read other posts relating to Equita and have a situation similar to that of others. I could really do with and really appreciate some help.

To give some background, I received a penalty charge for being in a bus lane by Plymouth City Council, I refuted and still do (I am taking it up separately with the council), in the meantime I have been unwell and several months elapsed before I received a letter in the post from Equita warning of possible bailiff action. The letter gave no indication of the sum being pursued. Upon calling Equita, I was advised that the amount owed was £ 90.00. Being slightly ignorant of this kind of action, I was taken advantage of and pushed into agreeing to pay £ 20.00 every fortnight (The illness I suffered forced me from work and I am receiving benefits). I made 2 payments totalling £ 40.00 and then through a relapse and other family issues I faltered and missed 2 consecutive payments. I then received another posted letter from Equita branded as a removal notice and this time contained the name of a 'bailiff in charge', again though, no detail of the sum being pursued. I called the bailiff immediately to try to resolve it and explain my extenuating circumstances. He advised me that the debt was now £ 351.84. Utterly shocked, I gave him the biggest sob story and have no means to pay such an amount. He advised me to send an email to Equita's bailiff manager and said that I'm sure we can work something out. I did that and literally got a letter back saying your comments had been noted???

Anyway, on Thursday I received a hand delivered final notice with a different 'bailiff in charge' which says that he called at my home to execute a warrant issued by Northampton County Court and that I should make contact within 24 hours or he will return to impound vehicle / remove goods, once again no written indication of the sum being pursued. Currently I have staved off such action as I called the new bailiff and made an arrangement to pay the amount over the next 4 weeks at nearly £ 100 per week (Which I would have to borrow). As I mention, I am new to this action and wish I had read up on this site before dealing with them in the first place. I feel like I have been a right dumbass. Before illness I was a manager in a private London hospital so I have got some savvy and so with some guidance I'm well versed when it comes to writing a letter or two. I just really need some direction.

I have just today requested a statement and break down of the charges on my account and I have also asked them to provide me with a copy of the warrant. If I understand the regulations and the action that has been taken (bearing in mind that none of the letters received indicate the sum being chased and no attendance to remove or levy has been made) then I believe that the sum owed should be just £ 50.00 (£90.00 original debt minus 2 x £ 20.00 that I have paid already). Please could somebody with greater understanding than I, confirm if I am correct at realising the figure shown and what steps I should take upon receipt of the requested information. The whole business has caused me great personal distress and what I have seen in other posts is equally despicable and I really want to go after these people and hold somebody to account. Your help is really appreciated, thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Those pesky Equita cowboys - Please help me round em up :-)

Originally posted by Ed Ficante View Post
    Hi there, I am new to the forum, and new to the bailiff experience. I have read other posts relating to Equita and have a situation similar to that of others. I could really do with and really appreciate some help.

To give some background, I received a penalty charge for being in a bus lane by Plymouth City Council, I refuted and still do (I am taking it up separately with the council), in the meantime I have been unwell and several months elapsed before I received a letter in the post from Equita warning of possible bailiff action. The letter gave no indication of the sum being pursued. Upon calling Equita, I was advised that the amount owed was £ 90.00. Being slightly ignorant of this kind of action, I was taken advantage of and pushed into agreeing to pay £ 20.00 every fortnight (The illness I suffered forced me from work and I am receiving benefits). I made 2 payments totalling £ 40.00 and then through a relapse and other family issues I faltered and missed 2 consecutive payments. I then received another posted letter from Equita branded as a removal notice and this time contained the name of a 'bailiff in charge', again though, no detail of the sum being pursued. I called the bailiff immediately to try to resolve it and explain my extenuating circumstances. He advised me that the debt was now £ 351.84. Utterly shocked, I gave him the biggest sob story and have no means to pay such an amount. He advised me to send an email to Equita's bailiff manager and said that I'm sure we can work something out. I did that and literally got a letter back saying your comments had been noted???

Anyway, on Thursday I received a hand delivered final notice with a different 'bailiff in charge' which says that he called at my home to execute a warrant issued by Northampton County Court and that I should make contact within 24 hours or he will return to impound vehicle / remove goods, once again no written indication of the sum being pursued. Currently I have staved off such action as I called the new bailiff and made an arrangement to pay the amount over the next 4 weeks at nearly £ 100 per week (Which I would have to borrow). As I mention, I am new to this action and wish I had read up on this site before dealing with them in the first place. I feel like I have been a right dumbass. Before illness I was a manager in a private London hospital so I have got some savvy and so with some guidance I'm well versed when it comes to writing a letter or two. I just really need some direction.

I have just today requested a statement and break down of the charges on my account and I have also asked them to provide me with a copy of the warrant. If I understand the regulations and the action that has been taken (bearing in mind that none of the letters received indicate the sum being chased and no attendance to remove or levy has been made) then I believe that the sum owed should be just £ 50.00 (£90.00 original debt minus 2 x £ 20.00 that I have paid already). Please could somebody with greater understanding than I, confirm if I am correct at realising the figure shown and what steps I should take upon receipt of the requested information. The whole business has caused me great personal distress and what I have seen in other posts is equally despicable and I really want to go after these people and hold somebody to account. Your help is really appreciated, thanks.
    Hi again, Ed.

The bailiff cannot remove goods without having first gained peaceable entry to your home and having obtained a lawful levy. This also applies to motor vehicles, i.e. the bailiff must have lawfully levied on it previously. Also, there must be a period of 5-7 days from the date of levy to allow a debtor to pay. Bailiffs cannot levy and remove on the same day as the debtor must be given an opportunity to pay. The only fees Equita are legally-entitled to charge are those I outlined on another thread. Do not bother writing to CIVEA. It is a trade body for bailiffs and is a waste of time.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X