• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RBS Credit Card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RBS Credit Card

Back in the dark days of 2009 I ran into various debt problems, one of which was an RBS Visa Card with approx 6k of debt on it. I corresponded with RBS and had hoped to get into a debt plan arrangement (PayPlan or similar) but my income was so poor no one was interested. Of the half dozen or so companies I had to deal with RBS were the only folk seemingly willing to engage in a discussion.

Communication went back and forth. RBS sent a letter on 20/10/2009 stating the account was formally terminated and defaulted. After more correspondance they accepted a basic payment from me of £1.00 per month to be reviewed after 6 months. This carried on for a number of months until 28/10/11 when they wrote requseting an update on my circumstances. I replied updating them on my situation, fundamentally unchanged and advising that the ongoing payment was very difficult. This became a lot tougher when my business bankers (NatWest) shut down my business trading accounts. (A Long Story)

Things were very tough now and I essentially stopped paying the monthly minimum amount. I was expecting my business to have to fold as I was unable to process transactions so cash income was very poor. My partner works full time and my family helped out a little. I receievd a multitude of 'please contact us' letters until 5th May 2012 when RBS passed the details to Triton.

On 18/06/2012 I had a 'Payment Demand' arrive which I filed carefully followed on 13/07/2012 by 'Notice of Legal Proceedings' I filed this letter also. On 27/09/2012 I was contacted by Shoosmiths Solicitors, they had been passed the details by RBS. After another letter on 22/10/2013 from Shoosmiths I wrote back explaining that without confirmation from RBS confirming Shoosmiths involvement I would not enter into any communication. Shoosmiths acknowedged this and refered the matter back to RBS.

RBS then wrote 27/02/2013 confirming that they were passing my details to Direct Legal. Almost immediately the phone calls started. I will not deal with these agencies over the phone, it all has to be in writing, DL claimed a letter had been sent but it was not in fact received until a while later. When the letter finally arrived I responded on 25/03/2013 advising that I will look at the file and contact RBS. I also advised DL that I will not deal with them over the phone, everything in writing only so I can keep a proper track. DL advised that they would grant a period of 21 days for communication to take place but insisted on being kept in the loop and reserved the right to continue telephone calls.

I have finally had chance to review the file and put all this information in the right date order. What appears obvious is that I have not got a default notice from RBS, it is simply not here. I access my credit file through equifax and can see that the default was recorded but surely I should have received the actual paper notice?

I accept that I have unresolved business with RBS and that I stopped paying them, but under some pretty extreme circumstances last year with huge pressure from NatWest over the business accounts and ongoing work issues. I am self employed and always have been pretty much over the last 20 years. I would not be able to pay RBS any more than the aforementioned token, my income has stabilised and improved marginally and will hopefully grow again this year. My partner and I have a child (7) and we keep up with the mortgage and other essential bills, but we are not living an extravagant lifestyle.

So please can you tell me how I should approach this matter? I am absolutely certain the default notice has never been recieved so should I request this or get straight into an SAR notice or is another approach more suitable?

Thanks for your time.

Briefly my thanks to all on the forum. I have accessed at a number of different times and gleaned some very useful information and template letters from it that have, frankly, got me through a large amount of poo generated by card companies and the parasites that work off them.
    Tags: None

Re: RBS Credit Card

I was going to say when I saw it was your first post, then realized you joined over 2 years ago!

From what you say, this is a fairly old credit card, isn't it? To be more precise, did you take it out before April 2007? That being the case, you could easily challenge the enforceability of this account. I have an RBS card with around £4k balance which I haven't paid since Jan 2010. It has gone round a few DCAs but last time I heard anything about it was Jan 2012 and I'm over half way through to Statute Barred on it. :clock: :thumb:

As long as you make payments, even £1 tokens, the debt will never go SBd, you need a clear 6 years (5 in Scotland) without payments or written acknowledgment. From my own experience, I would suggest sending RBS a CCA request a.s.a.p. The letter should be sent recorded delivery with a PO for £1 and signed using a computer font rather than your real signature, to be on the safe side. They will have 14 days to reply. If someone contacts you before you get a response, you can just write back saying you are awaiting the response to your CCA request.
    Dear Sirs

Account No:

I hereby formally request a copy of my Consumer Credit Agreement, pursuant to s.77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (CCA1974).
    I require you to provide me with a true copy, or reconstituted copy of the credit agreement relating to any account you deem to be mine, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide. I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit (12 + 2 days).

I presume you're aware that the OFT has stipulated that 'sections 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 outline the information creditors must provide to debtors under fixed-term, running account & Hire Agreements'. This simply means that under these sections a debtor can pay £1 to get:

• a copy of their agreement
    • copies of some of the other documents mentioned in their agreement
    • a statement of account

If this information is not provided within 12 working days the debt becomes unenforceable. This means a creditor cannot:

• make the debtor pay the debt before they're supposed to
    • get a court judgment against the debtor

So, in line with the OFT Guidance, and the Consumer Credit Act, please find attached my £1 payment, which is the statutory fee - note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose. If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee and then remove the incorrect entry from your systems.

Yours faithfully,
    With regards to the Default Notice, yes, you should have received one, however, this issue would only come into play if you were taken to court and that's precisely what we are trying to avoid.

RBS's usual response to a CCA request will be an application form with no terms linked to it, although they may well supply random terms, that's what they did with me. :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
      RBS's usual response to a CCA request will be an application form with no terms linked to it,
      Or, in other words, they'll fail to satisfy the request but may still pretend they have done?

Comment

Thank you very much for the responses.

I am unsure how long I had the card but have some statements dating back to 2004, so yes pre 2007!

You are correct, I did join some while ago when everything was unravelling for me. I had several credit cards that all went pear shaped about the same time, RBS seemed like the one company who were willing talk, all the others defaulted and harrassed me through call centres and / or DCA's. It seems like I have gone through a dozen different DCA's for various cards.

This site was breath of fresh air amongst all the bulls##t I found elsewhere. The information on the site, template letters etc was of great help and I have nipped in from time to time since then. Thanks again to all those who contribute.

I will get busy with the CCA request and keep you posted.

Comment

Hi, also worth remembering that the Default Notice is totally unconnected to a Default Marker on your credit file. Totally different.

It's worth asking for a copy of the DN sent to you, because it may be flawed.

Do a CCA request as FP has recommended, if they supply you with any agreement/application form, please come back and post it up for us to check for enforceability. Same with the DN if you get it.
          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thank you Celestine.

I have sent the CCA in today so will wait and see what that brings.

If there is no paper default notice and they have just put a marker on file, can they now come along and issue a default that hangs around for 6 years or have they missed their chance?

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad938 View Post
              Thank you Celestine.

I have sent the CCA in today so will wait and see what that brings.

If there is no paper default notice and they have just put a marker on file, can they now come along and issue a default that hangs around for 6 years or have they missed their chance?

Regards
              The paper default notice is separate from the default on your credit file, which will drop off 6 years after it was recorded, you can only be defaulted ONCE for each account.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Good morning.

The keenly awaited response to my CCA from RBS dropped through my letter box on 10th May. Oddly the letter was dated 10 days prior. RBS have returned my £1.00 fee. RBS say

'We regret to advise that the card agreement has been misfiled and despite searching our records we have been unable to locate it. As we are unable to comply with your request we return your £1.00 fee.

In the circumstances, we accept that we are not able at present to comply fully with your request made under section 78 (1) of the CCA and therefore, pursuant to section 78 (6) of the CCA we are not able to enforce the agreement until such time as we are able to comply with section 78 (1)

Although the credit agreement is currently unenforceable, the credit agreement is not void and your obligations to make payments to us under the credit agreement remain. As previously advised to you in our default letter your account will continue to show as a default will be reported to the Credit Reference Agencies as we are legally entitled to do. Payments must continue to be paid using your monthly statement which will be sent to you. Please note that if we do not receive an acceptable repayment offer from you, we may take such action as is legally permitted to pursue the outstanding debt.'

RBS included a copy of my application form for the card which suggests it was applied for in 2000. I do not appear to have taken out any PPI on the card, nor aware that any was ever charged.

Could you please advise what course of action, if any, I need to follow now. I presume without an enforceable agreement they cannot take any legal action or sell the debt on to a third party. Are they still entitled to use a third party to chase me or would this action, with the unenforceable CCA be a breach of the Data Protection Act?

I look forward to your advice. Thank you.

Comment

Good morning.

The keenly awaited response to my CCA from RBS dropped through my letter box on 10th May. Oddly the letter was dated 10 days prior. RBS have returned my £1.00 fee. RBS say

'We regret to advise that the card agreement has been misfiled and despite searching our records we have been unable to locate it. As we are unable to comply with your request we return your £1.00 fee.

In the circumstances, we accept that we are not able at present to comply fully with your request made under section 78 (1) of the CCA and therefore, pursuant to section 78 (6) of the CCA we are not able to enforce the agreement until such time as we are able to comply with section 78 (1)
                    WOW, that's a great result! Just what the doctor ordered! :cheer2: :cheer2:Keep that letter very safe (preferably in a fire-proof safe :grin, it's your get out of jail card!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
                    Although the credit agreement is currently unenforceable, the credit agreement is not void and your obligations to make payments to us under the credit agreement remain. As previously advised to you in our default letter your account will continue to show as a default will be reported to the Credit Reference Agencies as we are legally entitled to do. Payments must continue to be paid using your monthly statement which will be sent to you. Please note that if we do not receive an acceptable repayment offer from you, we may take such action as is legally permitted to pursue the outstanding debt.'
                    In other words, they will continue to chase you, but can't take you to court. :thumb: :grin:
                    RBS included a copy of my application form for the card which suggests it was applied for in 2000. I do not appear to have taken out any PPI on the card, nor aware that any was ever charged.

Could you please advise what course of action, if any, I need to follow now.
                    Sounds just like RBS card, from 99, which I haven't paid since Jan 2010. :clock: :clock: :clock:

I would just wait to hear from someone chasing this account, then I'd write back with a copy of that lovely letter. But do post up here if/when you hear anything before responding. I haven't heard a peep about my RBS card since Jan 2012! :thumb:

I presume without an enforceable agreement they cannot take any legal action or sell the debt on to a third party. Are they still entitled to use a third party to chase me or would this action, with the unenforceable CCA be a breach of the Data Protection Act?

I look forward to your advice. Thank you.
                    They can still sell the debt to a third party, there's no law against it, even Statute Barred debts can be sold. In fact, I've even heard about a debt that was ruled unenforceable in court, being sold on to a debt purchaser.

The Data Protection Act doesn't come into play here, the ruling on McGuffik vs RBS stated that the following do not amount to enforcement:
                    • Demanding payment
                    • Issuing a default notice
                    • Sharing data with third parties, particularly credit reference agencies
                    • Assigning the account to a Debt Purchaser or passing the account to a DCA.

Comment

Excellent result there! Make MANY copies of that letter lol. Whenever you get a new DCA chasing you, just pop a copy in the post to them with a covering letter.

The debt is UNENFORCEABLE; which means they can never get a CCJ or Stat Demand against you AND that is all you need to worry about.

The DCA's will threaten, they MAY even be dim enough to issue proceedings but they wont win. So stop worrying about making payments, the debt is history.
                      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I had a default notice issued by RBS for a credit card in 2006 and this default notice has now slipped off my credit file as it is over six years old :whoo:however I am still paying a token payment to them and wondering whether I should just stop this. I did SAR them a few years ago and remember receiving some kind of credit agreement. The debt is circa £4000. Should I carry on paying and eventually when I am in a financial position offer them a reduced settlement or just stop paying? I am concerned that if I stop they will probably sell the debt to a DCA and the default notice may reappear. I have had charges credited back and no PPI on account.

Comment

They can only lawfully default it once.

Comment

I think I may let sleeping dogs lie. Probably not the right attitude but have a lot more pressing things on my plate at the moment.

Comment

I understand! But maybe once you've sorted out those pressing things you may re-visit, given that your tokens won't clear the balance but they're not letting it go SB either... My RBS card with just over £4k is 3years into SBd :clock: :clock: :clock:It was hard at the time I stopped paying because I didn't know anything about these forums yet and was looking at the Card Killer site :scared: ...but it was definitely worth it! :thumb:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X