• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Getting constant phone calls, letters, stuck and dont know what to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting constant phone calls, letters, stuck and dont know what to do

Thanks for all your replies, i really appreciate it. I do want them all to go away, because at some point in my life i want a mortgage, (we can all hope) ! I started the catalogues 3 years ago, forget the exact date. Everything was in my name, my ex husband doesn't know where i am and i get no money from him. I have the council tax all under control, its the huge water bill and the paying it monthly i cant afford, but just really don't have the money, I had 2 catalogues, simply be, and marisota i bought a cooker from marisota, and fridge and clothes from simply be, whom i have now paid, but marisota took me to court, so i have a ccj, I'm sick of the phone ringing an getting messages from toccato. I'm scared of answering the phone incase they get abusive.

Comment

Water from both addresses £2700 roughly, plus this years bill, catalogue £960, it was £524 they added loads of charges, I think there's a british gas from previous address for £350, i did owe council tax but i'm in the process of paying that. I am getting all the benefits im entitled to, i work too so i still have to pay some rent and council tax.

Comment

PlanB
        Are there ways of getting money off ex's without giving your location or contact details away?

Allison, on your CCJ is there an arrangement to pay set by the court or does it just say you owe x

www.turn2us.org are also a good source of information

Comment

Originally posted by allisons3s View Post
          I'm sick of the phone ringing an getting messages from toccato. I'm scared of answering the phone incase they get abusive.
          Most DCAs get *forceful* on the phone which is why it's wise not to talk to them in case you end up agreeing to something you can't afford simply because you feel bullied :tape:

TOCATTO has a good FAQ page ( even though they're part of Lowells :fear which says if the bill is in dispute then they will put collection on hold while you deal with the water company.

http://tocatto.co.uk/FrequentQuestions.aspx

You can also contact TOCATTO online/by email to avoid speaking to them. My first approach would be to ask for more information on the name (or names!) on this water account and the sum owed.Then there is nothing to stop you contacting the water supplier direct and talking to them instead to make an arrangement to pay. TOCATTO is a debt collector not a debt purchaser - they don't own this debt.

Don't give them your home address if they haven't already got it

Comment

Everything is in my name

Comment

Everything was in my name, my ex husband doesn't know where i am and i get no money from him.
              Is that deliberate? Would you want to get some financial support if it was guaranteed that he didn't know where you now live?

Comment

Everything is in my name
                Even the bills from your previous residence ?

Comment

What is a debt management company and do they charge?

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, i really appreciate it. I do want them all to go away, because at some point in my life i want a mortgage, (we can all hope) !
                    I don't know how long ago you defaulted on your debts, the defaults will stay on your credit file for 6 years from the date they were recorded. Sadly these days lenders will be looking at the full 6 years when it comes to mortgages, although they may just look at the last 3 for things like credit cards and loans. :grin:
                    I started the catalogues 3 years ago, forget the exact date. Everything was in my name, my ex husband doesn't know where i am and i get no money from him. I have the council tax all under control, its the huge water bill and the paying it monthly i cant afford, but just really don't have the money,
                    Plan B and Leclerc have provided you with suggestions for dealing with utility bill arrears, it's worth checking them out. :yo:
                    I had 2 catalogues, simply be, and marisota i bought a cooker from marisota, and fridge and clothes from simply be, whom i have now paid, but marisota took me to court, so i have a ccj,
                    How much are you paying on this CCJ? Some people on low incomes pay just £1/month even when they have a CCJ. If your payments are unaffordable, you could apply for a redetermination. Normally there is a fee to be paid but it can be waived if you are in receipt of benefits.
                    I'm sick of the phone ringing an getting messages from toccato. I'm scared of answering the phone incase they get abusive.
                    I have suggested sending them a letter to tell them you are aware that their constant calls constitute harassment and that they should only communicate in writing.

Comment

Yes some do charge but I'm sure we can help you sort this problem without the need to pay someone else

Comment

How can you pay them £1 a month, how will i ever get debt free that way? It's a long story about my ex (he was violent), but he or his family don't know where i am, nor do i want them to find out, safer that way. I want to sort this out myself. The old house and all the bills were in my name, he's probably run more debts up but in my name when i left the house, but I've not heard of anyone regarding them.

Comment

There are some free debt charities around as well as lots of companies that will charge you for the service, :mad2: :wof: however, given you don't have that many debts and the amounts are modest, you don't really need their services. I realize the amounts may sound big to you but trust me, a lot of us owe SUBSTANTIALLY MORE than that! :grin:

Before looking a debt management, why don't you start with the suggestions given on this thread? For example, if you can find assistance with your water bill from one of the organisations that deal with utility arrears, you won't have to worry about your biggest bill. Do bear in mind that you need to keep payments on your CCJ, if you can't afford them at their current level, then you need to apply to have them reduced.

Comment

Thanks, but how do i apply to have them reduced?

Comment

How can you pay them £1 a month, how will i ever get debt free that way? It's a long story about my ex (he was violent), but he or his family don't know where i am, nor do i want them to find out, safer that way. I want to sort this out myself. The old house and all the bills were in my name, he's probably run more debts up but in my name when i left the house, but I've not heard of anyone regarding them.
                              Don't worry about being debt-free, you really really really don't owe that much, trust me, I know what I'm talking about. :grin: You don't need to pay the debts off in full for them to drop off your credit file if that's what's worrying you, the defaults will drop off 6 years after they were recorded, regardless of whether the debts were paid off or not.

You pay £1/month as a token, not to clear the debt. After a few years, you may offer a lump sum as Full & Final settlement if and when you are able to, otherwise just continue with your £1 tokens. You need to put yourself and your family above your creditors, if you haven't got enough money to meet all your expenses, then £1/month is all your creditors will get. Lots of people make token payments like that, especially when they are reliant on benefits.

Comment

i did ask the catalogue to take the charges of so i could pay it and they refused and took me to court, but i haven't paid any of it, don't know how to get it reduced. I barely cover anything at the moment, my son wants to go on a school trip and ive had to say no, its hard

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X