• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lookalike Summons - offence?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lookalike Summons - offence?

This article piqued my curiosity.

http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/No...#axzz2Q5KvQLak

What is the actual legislation and offence?

Whilst the person in the article used a genuine form, some DCA's send out threatograms designed to look very like a court summons or other official documents.

I wonder how close it would have to be, to be a prosecutable 'fake'?
    Tags: None

Re: Lookalike Summons - offence?

Originally posted by enquirer View Post

Whilst the person in the article used a genuine form, some DCA's send out threatograms designed to look very like a court summons or other official documents.

The offence is Pretending to Be Acting Under the Authority of A Court which is contrary to Section 135, County Courts Act 1984.

Without seeing one of the faux summons DCAs send out, I could not say whether it would be sufficient to warrant prosecution. Any chance of posting one up, please?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

This is interesting we had a case on here the other week of a dca sending an N1 to a debtor, which had not been issued by the court.

Comment

Thanks. Will read up on that.

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
        Any chance of posting one up, please?
        Not got one to hand, but I have seen a couple in passing. If I do get hold of one, I certainly will post, as this seems to be a trend. One DCA in the US actually created a complete fake courtroom into which victims were lured to receive 'judgements'!

Comment

You can download an N! from the HMCS website then all you do is send it to the debtor, no way of telling if it has come through the court or not, except for the court stamp of course.

I don;t think it is illegal to do this, unless you infer that it is anything other than what it is,

Comment

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
            You can download an N! from the HMCS website then all you do is send it to the debtor, no way of telling if it has come through the court or not, except for the court stamp of course.

I don;t think it is illegal to do this, unless you infer that it is anything other than what it is,
            Without a court stamp and a judge's signature, you're stuffed, as was the numpty in the news report. The DCA you mention, GT, could be prosecuted for sending the N1, alone. However, if the debt is disputed or not recoverable, e.g. not attributable to the alleged debtor, then there could be offences under the Fraud Act 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
              Without a court stamp and a judge's signature, you're stuffed, as was the numpty in the news report. The DCA you mention, GT, could be prosecuted for sending the N1, alone. However, if the debt is disputed or not recoverable, e.g. not attributable to the alleged debtor, then there could be offences under the Fraud Act 2006.
              I have been trying to find the post, it was fairly rescent and I seem to remmber celestine commented on it.

The DCA had sent an N1 and the OP was panicking because she thought it was a claim from the court, but no stamp and no response pack. We advised her accordingly.

Comment

Might have been Lowells, GT. They're stupid enough to do something like that.

Comment

No I can't remember where the thread was either. I don't think it was Lowell's though.

I commented that many years ago on CAG, it was suggested that a LIP seeking refund of bank charges could send a prelim, then an LBA with a copy of the N1 TO BE filed in 14 days to 'show them you were serious'.

This practice has not flourished but I do not believe it is unlawful to send out a filled in N1 form accompanying pre-action correspondence.

It's certainly something that would intimidate those unaware of the rules.....bit like issuing a Statutory Demand. Absolutely no obligation to follow it through & costs nothing to issue.
                  "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thanks. Will read up on that.

Not got one to hand, but I have seen a couple in passing. If I do get hold of one, I certainly will post, as this seems to be a trend. One DCA in the US actually created a complete fake courtroom into which victims were lured to receive 'judgements'!
                    Are you serious? Surely that would be a criminal offence big time, even in the US! Is there a link to that post/article somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                      Are you serious? Surely that would be a criminal offence big time, even in the US! Is there a link to that post/article somewhere?
                      Enquirer is probably thinking of Judge Judy. I love that no-nonsense woman :director:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/HCaImWOlbULew
                      Last edited by PlanB; 15th April 2013, 14:46:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                        Enquirer is probably thinking of Judge Judy.
                        See here. http://www.rawlslawoffice.com/legal-...its-Office.htm

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                          Enquirer is probably thinking of Judge Judy. I love that no-nonsense woman :director:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/HCaImWOlbULew

Reminds me of somebody here! bye off to make a cuppa before I get another clip ear!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X