• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Two questions about how CCAs work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two questions about how CCAs work

If a Consumer Credit Act-regulated agreement is entered into and then the company's licence lapses, am I right in understanding that any amendments made to the existing agreement after the lapse would be null and void?

Also, if a debt incurred during the 'post-lapse period', would it then be unlawful for that company to then sell that debt on - even if the company that buys it has a Consumer Credit Licence themselves?

Tags: None

Re: Two questions about how CCAs work
    If a Consumer Credit Act-regulated agreement is entered into and then the company's licence lapses, am I right in understanding that any amendments made to the existing agreement after the lapse would be null and void? It would depend if the company had applied for a new CCL in the meantime. If they have applied for another CCL, it may well be overlooked; if they simply did not hold a CCL any longer, then I imagine they are unable to vary th terms of any agreement previously in existence.

Also, if a debt incurred during the 'post-lapse period', would it then be unlawful for that company to then sell that debt on - even if the company that buys it has a Consumer Credit Licence themselves? I don't believe you have to hold a CCL to own a debt, so I see no reason why you would have to hold a CCL to sell a debt you currently own.

Comment

Originally posted by mrroper View Post
      If a Consumer Credit Act-regulated agreement is entered into and then the company's licence lapses, am I right in understanding that any amendments made to the existing agreement after the lapse would be null and void?

Also, if a debt incurred during the 'post-lapse period', would it then be unlawful for that company to then sell that debt on - even if the company that buys it has a Consumer Credit Licence themselves?

The ability to vary a terms would depend upon whether it was included within the terms and conditions of the contract.

If the license was no longer in existence the "creditor" would not be able to enforce without permission as per section 40. However due to the definition of "enforcement" would mean that the creditor would still be entitled to ask for the debtor to perform on the varied terms.

As said a temporary lack of a licence say in a transitional period would probably be ignored, serious lapses though are punishable by heavy fines under section 35 i think.

Comment

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
        The ability to vary a terms would depend upon whether it was included within the terms and conditions of the contract.

If the license was no longer in existence the "creditor" would not be able to enforce without permission as per section 40. However due to the definition of "enforcement" would mean that the creditor would still be entitled to ask for the debtor to perform on the varied terms.

As said a temporary lack of a licence say in a transitional period would probably be ignored, serious lapses though are punishable by heavy fines under section 35 i think.
        Hi gravytrain,

Many thanks for your input - I very much appreciate it.

But just to clarify, when you say temporary lack or serious lapses, please could you expand a little more on that one, especially in respect to reasonable timeframes?

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
          If a Consumer Credit Act-regulated agreement is entered into and then the company's licence lapses, am I right in understanding that any amendments made to the existing agreement after the lapse would be null and void? It would depend if the company had applied for a new CCL in the meantime. If they have applied for another CCL, it may well be overlooked; if they simply did not hold a CCL any longer, then I imagine they are unable to vary th terms of any agreement previously in existence.

Also, if a debt incurred during the 'post-lapse period', would it then be unlawful for that company to then sell that debt on - even if the company that buys it has a Consumer Credit Licence themselves? I don't believe you have to hold a CCL to own a debt, so I see no reason why you would have to hold a CCL to sell a debt you currently own.
          Hi labman,

Thank you for your reply - I can confirm with a very high degree of likelihood (bordering on certainty) that the company in question definitely didn't hold a CCL any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by mrroper View Post
            Hi gravytrain,

Many thanks for your input - I very much appreciate it.

But just to clarify, when you say temporary lack or serious lapses, please could you expand a little more on that one, especially in respect to reasonable timeframes?
            It depends on how serious the director considered the breach, section 40 details some of the requirements for appeal and the fines and penalties are itemized in schedule one of the act.
            Last edited by gravytrain; 19th March 2013, 09:24:AM.

Comment

I do have another question - I had heard that Lowell tried to argue in court (I may even have read it on a thread on this site) that Early Termination Fees for mobile contracts were legally enforceable, and that they lost the case.

I'm trying to find out more information about this, so just asking if anyone can help shed some light on this.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X