• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell/Three Mobile/Drydens - possibly phony court claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lowell/Three Mobile/Drydens - possibly phony court claim

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
    I am not a lawyer (hence my suggestion to ask one) but it looks like they didn't engage their brain while they were typing, as they are saying a 3 Mobile contract is an agreement regulated by the CCA and we all know that's not the case. Rather strange for a firm of solicitors to make such a mistake on an official document, perhaps they got a work experience kid to do the form!
    That's just what I was thinking.

With regards to paperwork, did you ever receive a NoA as stated on the claim? The terms should be the ones on the contract you signed with 3 Mobile. Is that balance for actual usage (calls, data, roaming, etc.), or is it mostly charges added to your account?
    Am I OK to PM you about that one? I don't want to say too much on the thread (as I said before, I don't want any DCAs or shyster lawyers trying to identify me).

I would wait for PT's input before firing off the letter, it could well be that they have shot themselves in the foot by describing a mobile contract as a regulated credit agreement.

With a SAR, they would have 40 days to respond. A SAR is a request under the Data Protection Act and totally separate from a request under the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR).
    As I understand it, the CPR would need to go to whoever's chasing (the solicitor, in this case), and the SAR to the OC.

Comment

One might also ask when this alleged consumer credit agreement was entered into, as Hutchison 3G UK Limited might not have held a valid consumer credit licence at the time.

See attachments.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
        One might also ask when this alleged consumer credit agreement was entered into, as Hutchison 3G UK Limited might not have held a valid consumer credit licence at the time.

See attachments.

Hi Cleverclogs - that's an interesting thought.

A full four year gap without a Consumer Credit Licence, and no licence to be collecting on debt since 2008 - that could open a can of worms as well.

Would that mean that they have no valid licence to be passing debts that fall under the CCA banner onto other parties?

If that's the case, then would it also mean that any 'arrears' that falls in the 2008-2012 window are invalidated - because the other party no longer held licence to be processing or maintaining such agreements?

Bearing in mind that Drydens have specificially mentioned the CCA as a salient point in their court paperwork - a defaulted credit agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 in their Particulars of Claim.
        Last edited by mrroper; 16th March 2013, 13:40:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrroper View Post
          That's just what I was thinking.

Am I OK to PM you about that one? I don't want to say too much on the thread (as I said before, I don't want any DCAs or shyster lawyers trying to identify me).
          That's OK with me, I see where you're coming from

As I understand it, the CPR would need to go to whoever's chasing (the solicitor, in this case), and the SAR to the OC.
          That is correct, the SAR is intended to obtain statements and full account history that solicitors and debt purchasers wouldn't have.

Comment

That's OK with me, I see where you're coming from.
            Just it doesn't pay to reveal too much in an open thread.

That is correct, the SAR is intended to obtain statements and full account history that solicitors and debt purchasers wouldn't have.
            That's fine - I'll get a SAR off after the weekend.

Comment

Also, what do I state to the court once the CPR letter goes off to Dryden?

Comment

Hi Bluebottle,

Out of interest, what doubts do you have? If you'd rather not say on this thread, then by all means PM me.
                Lowells are well-known for chasing alleged 3 debts. In a number of cases, the alleged debtors didn't even owe any money to 3 or had never had any dealings with 3. Call me a cynical ex-copper, but my gut-feeling is that Lowells know themselves they can't collect. The crap they or Drydens have written on the N1 about the CCA is a potential indication that they know they can't collect and are possibly attempting to mislead the court into believing they can. The CPR request you are making should reveal the strength of Lowell's case.
                Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                  Lowells are well-known for chasing alleged 3 debts. In a number of cases, the alleged debtors didn't even owe any money to 3 or had never had any dealings with 3. Call me a cynical ex-copper, but my gut-feeling is that Lowells know themselves they can't collect. The crap they or Drydens have written on the N1 about the CCA is a potential indication that they know they can't collect and are possibly attempting to mislead the court into believing they can. The CPR request you are making should reveal the strength of Lowell's case.
                  I did get several 'reduced settlements' offer before the out-of-the-blue court claim came, which leads me to believe the same.

Comment

I did get several 'reduced settlements' offer before the out-of-the-blue court claim came, which leads me to believe the same.
                    The bit I have highlighted in bold type is very telling. It sounds like this is an unenforceable debt, Lowells and Drydens Fairfax know it, but think they can hoodwink a court by claiming it is under the CCA.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                      The bit I have highlighted in bold type is very telling. It sounds like this is an unenforceable debt, Lowells and Drydens Fairfax know it, but think they can hoodwink a court by claiming it is under the CCA.
                      I'd be interested to see what comes back from the CPR.

Personally, I think they were hoping for a default judgement and aren't expecting a defence to come back from me - it's not going to be working out that way for them.

Comment

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...-form-received

I have the same issue as you, POC received against a mobile contract but it mentions CCA. I'm tempted to call them tomorrow and negotiate a reduced settlement, I'll mention they could be in contempt of court for making a false declaration on a statement of truth.

Comment

To add, I've had a response to my CPR but they missed the 7 days.

Comment

Originally posted by daddy2cool View Post
                            http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...-form-received

I have the same issue as you, POC received against a mobile contract but it mentions CCA. I'm tempted to call them tomorrow and negotiate a reduced settlement, I'll mention they could be in contempt of court for making a false declaration on a statement of truth.
                            Contempt of Court occurs when a person or commercial entity fails to comply with an instruction by a court to do something or not do something or discloses details of a case into the public domain whilst it is being heard, mainly, reporting of court hearings.

Making a false declaration which misleads a court or would tend to mislead a court can amount to Perjury or Attempting to Pervert the Course of Justice. If this is done by a legal professional, then it should be reported to the relevant regulatory body, as it amounts to serious professional misconduct.

Comment

Hi everyone,

CPR letter hasn't gone off yet, since I'm hoping to leave them with as little time and room to manoeuvre as possible.

Would timing it so they receive the letter just as my defence is submitted be an idea?

Comment

CPR letter hasn't gone off yet, since I'm hoping to leave them with as little time and room to manoeuvre as possible.

Would timing it so they receive the letter just as my defence is submitted be an idea?
                                Yes, it would be an idea.

I do not believe it would be a good idea.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X